+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default how do you handle this toddler?

Ds is 2.6th old he is so so so naughty.
    We have tried different methods to try stop his bad behaviour and nothing works.

Just now he pushed the chair over. I told him don't do that so he pushed it. I just ignored now and left chair on the floor while he is now trying to climb the bench.

We have tried time outs sending to his room. Talking about not doing what he is doing etc. Nothing works on him. He doesn't care what we do.we have taken toys away too.. He doesn't care much

Tbh it's taking a lot for me not to snap and walk out of the house and leave him when he is like this.

I think ignoring is working a bit but he is getting away with bad behaviour because of it so I'm not sure it's ok.

Can anyone help? We are ttc number 2 but I'm nearly at the point I don't want that anymore

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think he's too young for all that discipline. At that age they know something is naughty but they will still do it anyway. Lots of distraction and play and change of scenery should work better.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (29-11-2014),btmacxxx  (30-11-2014),cluckcluck  (29-11-2014),delirium  (12-03-2015),gizmoduckus  (30-11-2014),misskittyfantastico  (29-11-2014),peanutmonkey  (30-11-2014),Renn  (29-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    I think he's too young for all that discipline. At that age they know something is naughty but they will still do it anyway. Lots of distraction and play and change of scenery should work better.
    Agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with others. He's still very young, and doesn't understand his behaviour in the same way that you do.

There are some great tips on raisingchildren.net.au, a government-supported site. So for example:
    http://raisingchildren.net.au/articl...iscipline.html
    has some suggestions regarding discipline and behaviour management for toddlers. There are also sections on childhood development, realistic expectations for different ages, ways to pre-empt behaviour etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree at this age with ignoring and re directing - also remember a lot of praise when he is good as he may associate being naughty with getting your attention so any time he is good remember to praise him so he connects being good gets him attention

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    sounds like the day I had with DD today. She was just bored. As soon as I changed what we were doing and introduced some new stuff she was fine. They just need to be kept occupied.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is starting to get 'naughty' a lot too, he's always a lot better when kept entertained and given lots of attention. Almost every naughty thing has some sort of re-directing you can use. My latest challenge is to stop him hitting the walls. It's even harder as we don't have a back yard, just a tiny court yard.

Taking toys away just upsets him. I keep various toys in 3 different rooms in the house and swap them around, bring out the toys he hasn't seen in a while and set them up which gets his interest, turn on the tv but also turn it off a lot so it gets his interest when it comes on, feed him snacks, pencils/stamps in the high chair, park, outings (at least something small daily), enforce naps. I always make a big deal when he is good or learns something I know he has been trying to do. (I clap!)

He is still SO much work. But it's the only way at this age they just don't get discipline. He's just usually frustrated and can't express it, or bored, or lonely and wants attention. So I just keep reminding myself of that and look for ways to solve his problem. Sometimes I just have to stop, get on the ground with him and rack my brains for a game to play. He calms right down almost every time when he sees I'm ready to hang with him for some undivided attention for a bit.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My two yr old is the same and in having real issues. Someone linked me to a great article I will get it for you

I remind myself also that he is young and strong discipline can have such a neg effort that stays with him for so long whereas his behaviour to acting quite normal iykwim

Its hard we think they are supposed to behave and feel conscious others will judge but sometimes I think it's a rod for your own back

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Bonnie19  (30-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Definitely agree with removing him from the situation and distraction.