+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Toilet training right this minute - quick question!

So we started TT our 3yo DD yesterday. So far we have had a grand total of zero wees or poos in the toilet! So not exactly going brilliantly.

I have finally managed to get her to sit and stay on the loo (we have one of those toddler seats on the proper toilet) by sitting here with her watching Peppa Pig and Wiggles on the iPad. I managed to get her to sit here for almost 20min before giving up and then she did a huge wee on the floor within 5 minutes of getting off!

Is this normal for the first couple of days of TT?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Absolutely normal.

I started TT by putting ds on the toilet at every nappy change. When we finally caught a wee on there he understood what it was for. And i did that for a week and then he started telling me he hadto wee inbetween those timss and we would take his nappy off and put him on the toilet.

As soon as he started telling us consistantly we went to undies and had minimal Accidents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes completely normal. We went straight to undies which is hard work but she quickly learnt it felt yucky to have wet undies. We also got the free rewards chart from the huggies website so she was very excited to out stickers on when she went on the toilet. Good luck with it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a rewards chart but she's not all that interested in it. I guess we just need to persist!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It can be a little aggravating, but it is completely normal. DS was definitely harder than DD. I've been waiting for it to get warmer before I put DD in undies full time and I didn't want to do it around taking DS to school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    We have a rewards chart but she's not all that interested in it. I guess we just need to persist!
    DS would not get into reward charts either but stamps on his hand/arm worked. I keep one in the bathroom and also letting him flush and spray the glen 20 (with help) works too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Soooo
    I did something not recommended.

I had a lolly jar with a picture of a boy sitting on the toilet on it. (It had mini jelly beans inside and he had to wash his hands first)
    Every time DS did a wee, he received 1 lolly, poo was 2 lollies.
    At first he tried to go a lot just to get a lolly, but soon he realised he had to do wee /poo.

Soon he was trained and never asked for a lolly again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Soooo
    I did something not recommended.

I had a lolly jar with a picture of a boy sitting on the toilet on it. (It had mini jelly beans inside and he had to wash his hands first)
    Every time DS did a wee, he received 1 lolly, poo was 2 lollies.
    At first he tried to go a lot just to get a lolly, but soon he realised he had to do wee /poo.

Soon he was trained and never asked for a lolly again.
    We used smarties! I think we went through a packet or two then just told her they had run out. It worked really well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did consider using food rewards. She is not usually allowed lollies or chocolate so it's a real treat when she gets it. We set up a little fairy door and told her the fairies will visit and leave a surprise for her if she does a wee or poo in the toilet. She actually did a wee in the loo just before bath time and the fairies left her a sticker (she loves stickers). Maybe a small chocolate would be a good incentive? Or maybe I'll just use little presents like stickers, stamps or cheap little toys.

At least we had a tiny bit of success today. I'm hoping all the praise she got for doing the wee in the toilet will encourage her to do more tomorrow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any great advice but we are in the swing of it too, and my carpet will be getting a professional clean as soon as she's fully trained :/. She going great guns on the potty lately and recognising when she needs to go. There are times she would wee less than a foot from her potty! I'm finding if I just leave her to it and dont make a fuss over it, she just does it. But she's got a streak of serious independence and owning what she does. My bad.