+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Conjuctivitis - chlorsig or breastmilk?

Our 2yr old has picked up conjunctivitis. Never had it before so this is new to me. It was in one eye one morning and by the afternoon it had puffed/swollen up. I managed to put some breastmilk in his eye. The next day the swelling was down but his eye was still red with a bit of yellow gunk coming out AND it had spread to his other eye.

That was three days ago. I stopped putting breastmilk in his eyes because I wasn't sure if it was helping plus he hates it. Fights and screams. His eyes are now not swollen but his eye balls are watery and blood red around the edges and the skin around his eyes is slightly pink. The pharmacist gave us some Chlorsig today. But I'm reluctant to use it. And we tried going to the doctor, they were fully booked, so we waited at the hospital for 3 hours before leaving because we couldn't wait any more.

So... mums/dads out there who have experienced the joys of pink eye... how long does it typically last for? Would you use chlorsig or breastmilk to treat it?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd use breastmilk (always have...even on my 7yr old lol) how often are you using it? I do it every 2 hours or so. Also you might find it easier to express a bit into a tablespoon and either tip it in if they are co-operating or use a syringe or eye dropper.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends if it's bacterial or viral conjunctivitis. If it's viral, chlorsig won't help anyway but the good news it will go away on its own. Breastmilk or warm salty water on a cotton ball and one wipe from centr out will help unstick the eyes in the morning. If it's bacterial then chlorsig will help. My dd has had to undergo 2 eye surgeries and also had a blocked tear duct so was a regular user of chlorsig as a baby with no ill effects so it is quite safe for little ones if that is a concern.
    Last edited by RipperRita; 27-11-2014 at 22:51.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You should prob see a doctor for a proper diagnosis but I was under the impression if the eye has a watery discharge then it's likely viral but if it's green and pusy then more probably bacterial...
    Last edited by RipperRita; 27-11-2014 at 22:52.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Two of our children had blocked ducts and two of them were fine.

The two that had blocked ducts from birth have developed conjunctivitis a few times as the eye can't properly clean itself out. Thankfully they've both outgrown it now and the duct works.

One of them had to use a specific sort as the chlorsig didn't work.

I prefer the ointment in the tube as it sticks in the eye longer and is more effective in a short period of time. Still need to do it for three days though and wash, wash, wash.

I should add that I always flush the eye with saline solution a few times first to check whether it is bacterial or not. If it comes back pussy in a short period of time then it's time to get meds.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 27-11-2014 at 23:00.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would start with the chlorsig, and book into the GP just in case. Don't go to hospital for conjunctivitis, please.

In my experience, breastmilk doesn't work for conjunctivitis. Why are you reluctant to use the chlorsig?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-11-2014),sezzle  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have actually never heard to use breastmilk for conjunctivitis. I have always used warm salty water wiping the eye with a cloth. Never using same part of the cloth for each wipe. I would do this every 30min/hour

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-11-2014)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Dd had conjunctivitis when she was around 5 weeks old. The chemist have me some chlorsig and I also asked for saline but you can make your own. (I couldn't be bothered and its only $1 per tube)
    I just used cotton wool with the saline and wipes from the inside out, and then applied the chlorsig. The chemist told me the trick was to put a drop on the inside of the eye (close to the nose) and it didn't matter if her eyes were shut because she would blink it through anyway).

My 5 weeker had no ill effects from the chlorsig and it cleared it up within about 2 days.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would be flushing the eye every 2 hours with saline. You can get fess wipes too. I would see a Dr. Get pathology done so you know if it's viral or bacterial.
    Then do what the Dr says. Though I would use chlorsig. I can't understand why you wouldn't.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've actually had great success with colloidal silver. I make my own so at first signs I drop it in. When I had a case coming on it was gone within 20 minutes. It was like a miracle. Chlorsig is awful and leaves a horrid taste.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fiery For This Useful Post:

debsch  (28-11-2014)