+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do I stop DS damaging our walls?!

I'm going troppo, the last couple of days DS has started bashing his toys against doors and walls. He put some dents in the wall when I was sitting less than a metre away, and took some paint off another wall when I wasn't looking. We live in a rental and the paint job is pretty awful, chunks come out of the wall easily.

All I have been able to do is limp after him (heavily pregnant) and he runs away from me, trying to bash his toy on every available surface. I tell him to "leave it" in a stern voice and take the toy away if he keeps doing it, but it's not working.

Ideas? Feeling pretty stressed! He's 20 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could you try redirect him to hit his toys into a pillow? My ds (18m) has been doing this lately, but then I get him something else to hit like pots and pans and a wooden spoon.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMummy For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (27-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by silentrockfaery View Post
    Could you try redirect him to hit his toys into a pillow? My ds (18m) has been doing this lately, but then I get him something else to hit like pots and pans and a wooden spoon.
    Thanks - do you do this when he starts to hit the wall, or does it prevent him hitting the walls if he's occupied in the first place?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds2 is 22 months and he his toys on the TV. Pots and wooden spoon helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DD is 22 months and I haven't had this particular problem but in general I find when I show that I really dislike something she is doing it tends to make her want to do it more, she just loves a reaction. Sometimes it takes every bit of self control I have but I try to ignore the behaviour and act like it doesn't bother me at all, and then subtly redirect. So for example she loves to take all the tissues out of the box and tear them up everywhere and at first I would rant and rave about how naughty it was but it just made her do it more so now I pretend like I can't see it and just ignore but then I'll get out one of her books or toys or a snack she really likes and act like I'm having the best time playing/ eating and be really over the top excited and she'll wander over to join me and forget all about the tissues.

Also I agree he might just love the feeling of hitting something and the noise it makes, pots and pans and wooden spoons or even a small little toy drum or xylophone might be a good alternative.

Good luck

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (28-11-2014),MonsterMummy  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you work it out let me know because my five year old is still bashes things against walls and draws on them or sticks things to them lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I could ignore this one like I do everything else but our rental has a shoddy paint job and plaster & paint falls off with the smallest tap against it

We hit a pillow today and he seemed to enjoy that, will be getting out the pots & pans tomorrow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with redirecting your ds to hit something else- I don't say no to my 22 month old when she starts hitting things (not with toys though- she grabs spoons and utensils from the drawers and starts hitting the walls). I just say - hit the floor, hit the pan, hit the lounge etc to redirect without restricting. Saying no makes her do anything more! It works well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (28-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're in a rental and our 2yr old does the same. I tell him that it (the item being banged/rolled on the wall) goes on the floor not the wall. And I take things away when he does it a second time. He only does it when he wants my attention. It works.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (28-11-2014)