+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DD making new friends- whats my role

Hi I need help with a situation.
    Im not very good in social setting im not good with making friends, however God blessed me with a very social extroverted child.

DD goes to prep at at private Christian school. She has been going for only 3 months now. She has been talking about this girl who she likes and is her friend. She wants to play with her but I'm not sure what to do, approach the mom? and what do I say?
    Today I dropped her off there was chocolates in her locker, from this girl (I'm assuming the mom put it there). What do I do next? What can I give in response?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Oh I can totally relate, I'm not very sociable but DD is, I'm quietly dreading when she starts school.

That's really sweet that your DD had made a friend though and the other girl seems to like your DD too. Do you know which is her mum, if so maybe you could strike up a conversation at drop off or pick up and invite them out for a play date at the park or something? I think I'd like to be invited to something where I go too seeing as the girls are young and the mum doesn't know you well yet.

If you don't know the mum maybe you and your DD could write a little note in a card to the little girl and her mum saying thank you for the chocolates and inviting them for a play date, with your contact details so she can contact you if she wants to.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think a thank you note is the first step. I'm a huge thank you note fan and don't think people send them enough anymore.
    Perhaps a handmade thank you note from your DD for the chocolates and friendship (be specific!) and include in the note an invitation to the mum and DD to come over for a play date / afternoon tea or something like that.
    If you're not into having them over, maybe inviting them to meet out at a park or something and you could bring a cake or muffins or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for replies. I was thinking to get DD to write a thank you note. Would have liked to be the one receiving the invite but atleast they made the first move.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yep - we often do a park play date as a first one rather than go to either house.

and a thank you note is a great idea

it does get easier - this is only the start ... it will happen lots of times, and I promise, it does get easier