+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If it weren't for Facebook I'd probably forget both my niece's and my nephew's birthday. It doesn't bother me if relatives forget my kids birthdays. My dad totally forgot about DD's, in fact I wouldn't have noticed he had forgotten except that he told me a few days later! Hadn't occurred to me that he had!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not cranky, ringing the next day is fine by me, and a gift in the mail too, clearly it was an honest mistake!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wouldn't bother me too much. It's difficult remembering all the families birthdays or calling when I do remember.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 26-11-2014 at 22:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It happened to us with DD1 a couple of years ago. My brother didn't call and the next day said it was because he was hungover... I was a bit annoyed.

But they called, gave her a present and fussed over her so it was ok in the end

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For me, it would depend on the relationship with the relative. My dad was living with me during the time of my sons birthday and he didnt get him anything..not even a card. So for him to not call or email or anything (which he didnt this year) I was ****ed but kind of expected it.
    However, if it was my brother who I have a great relationship with (but dont get a chance to see often) I would be upset if he didnt call and Id tell him so. I wouldnt go all Mumma Bear savage on him but Id tell him it did annoy me and then we'd get over it having the air cleared.

Also it would depend on the character of the relative. If they were airy fairy or the selfish type then it would be in the 'kind of expected' bracket. If they were going through something in their life or actually were really busy then I would just let it go. If they were just being busy with their head up their own a$$ Id take it up with them.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wwyd? relatives & kids birthdays

I've had this situation play out with both my children now,
    Ive decided to 'forget' said relatives birthday, I've called with my kids every year for 7 years, no more will they get a call

Mine is different to yours though, it's not just birthdays forgotten it's a complete lack of acknowledgement that my two children exist, half the people friends with these relatives don't seem to even realise my kids exist based on comments I've seen.
    Last edited by ThenThereWereThree; 27-11-2014 at 01:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be disappointed, but not cranky. Especially if you've sent a gift, and tried to call; it's not like you totally ignored the fact that it was the child's birthday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my family, not clling someone in the morning of their birthday is about the most unforgivable thing someone could do. I know my sister or mother would not be talking to me if I did that (especially if it was a kid's birthday) It wouldn't matter if I was seeing them later in the day and/or had a present. However, after years of therapy I can now see my family are unreasonable about so many things and I think that this is one of them.

If my sister (for example) forgot my DD's birthday but called the next tday and apologised and had a present, I would be suprised and a bit miffed but I like to think it wouldn't really be a big deal. Especially if she was genuinely sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    I'd thank them for the gift and the phone call, and not be remotely cranky.
    I'd even think it's kind of nice that the birthday love has continued even if it's not on the exact right date.
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't be bothered.

I only have one SIL and we've been guilty of forgetting to call on the actual day of her kids birthday, then doing the slight panic when we realised the next day!

We all have busy lives and it happens. You have apologised & acknowledged the birthday with a gift. You don't deserve to be dragged over the coals for it.