+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tips for house design and build

We're looking at building a home (demolish and build) and I'd love any tips any experienced hubbers may have.
    - What do you love / hate about your house?
    - What would you do differently?

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't have bedrooms directly off a living room. Have a hall or wall separating them.
    Master bedroom at the front away from other bedrooms.
    Lots if storage.
    Spend money on taps and fittings rather than tiles.
    Definitely more than one bathroom
    Walk in robes in master
    Study space
    Be aware of plug locations. Make sure you have enough.

That's all I can think of for the moment!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (26-11-2014),RastaMouse  (26-11-2014)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Include a 1.5 length garage - our old house was 1.5 length and our current house is just the length of the car, and we notice the difference so much with the lack of storage!

Drive through garage is incredibly useful if you don't have vehicle access on the side.

Big, walk in pantry - you can never have enough kitchen storage.

Not sure how old your kids are, but plan a living area for older kids to play away from the bedrooms while younger ones sleep.

Think of where the sun sets and rises. Our kitchen, living, dining and lounge run along the western side of our house with lots of windows and get so hot in summer. You might want to get an architect to help you design it around the sun so you can make the most of the warmth in winter and coolness in summer.

Look at your neighbours layout, our outdoor entertaining area is right next to our neighbours entertaining area. It's a bit awkward if we're both outside at the same time (houses are close together).

Two separate living areas are important if you have kids, so you can escape from each other if necessary!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse  (26-11-2014)

At my house
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bedrooms at the back of the house. I can't tell you how much better I sleep not having the street right outside my window. Definitely a walk in pantry and robe. A foyer is also good. At my old place the front door opened right into the lounge room. I have a foyer now and it's so much nicer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbasmum For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse  (26-11-2014)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1416998700.518722.jpg

This is the floor plan for the house we are currently building, it took months to design with our architect, it's based on what DH and I have loved and hated about the houses we have lived in in the past and on a practical and aesthetic level for us as a family of 4 - it's perfect.

I'll talk you through the features ad why we designed it the way we did:

1. Master bedroom at the back of the house with a view out to the back yard. I truly don't get why masters are always at the front.
    2. Second bedroom in close proximity to master for our baby, for ease of getting to for night feeds.
    3. Ensuite has a separate toilet and both doors are accessed from the hallway so guests can use it too, so I can shower and DH can pee in a separate room and so when DH is up at the crack of dawn for golf, he doesn't turn on the bedroom light and wake me up
    4. Those two bedrooms are separated from the living areas by a cavity door.
    5. Open plan living is open and airy, but still defined to allow for functional furniture placement.
    6. Galley kitchen to avoid corner kitchen cabinets - such a pain.
    7. Big pantry to stockpile staples. They will feature drawers to easily access contents.
    8. Though not depicted here, 1 metre of the pantries is actually a study nook. It will be handy to put keys and mail on (bills can stay there to be paid - I'm always forgetting to pay bills)
    9. The garage entry into the house is near the kitchen to make it easier to bring in groceries.
    10. The remaining 2 bedrooms are at the front of the house away from the main living area and are for DD and also DS when he's sleeping through the night (so we don't disturb them when we have BBQs and dinner parties) and the second bedroom will become a guest room, come sewing and craft room.
    11. Double vanities in both the ensuite and bathroom so everyone can have their own sink
    12. At tick storage is in fact a man cave
    13. 3rd living area Formal living area - 1 for me, one for DH and one for the kids.
    14. And also not depicted, to the right of the garage entry will be a bench seat where shoes can be stored and put on, with some hooks for bags and jackets and open shelving for added storage.

Please don't quote with the floorplan as I will eventually delete. I hope that helps

9. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

RastaMouse  (26-11-2014)