+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Have you ever paid off your mortgage?

DH and I have been thinking & wondering about life without a mortgage. Imagine life without no debt! Wow

Have you ever paid yours off & owned your house outright?

How did you do it? As in did you just keep making the repayments for years & years or did you have a strategy?

If you had the opportunity to sell & downgrade to a lesser house with a tiny mortgage (or none) would you be prepared to make that sacrifice?

We currently have an average one & we love where we live. But if we sold up & bought a smaller, older house in a cheaper area, we might be able to get mortgage free. Living with no debt & less stress sounds great. I just don't know i will regret it later on. Decisions decisions...

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    My sil and her husband got a payout from bil's work after he was in an horrific accident. They used the money to sell up, buy a block and build their dream home mortgage free.

They love being without a mortgage, but they are sensible and realise living life debt free is almost impossible. They have a very good finance manager whom they consult on every large purchase. They are currently paying off a pool and a new car.

I think having no mortgage would be awesome, but at what cost? I wouldn't say sil and bil are lucky, because bil nearly died, and this money is little compensation.
    In your scenario, the trade off for no mortgage would be having I leave the area you love and move to a place a bit less polished. Could you be happy raising your family there? Would you regret moving? Are the local facilities there as good as what you have now?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Snooze  (26-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crankyoldcow View Post
    Yep, when I was with exdh we paid off 3 mortgages.

House 1 - no kids. Lived off my income and put all of his into the mortgage.

House 2 - lived off the bare minimum, and put every spare cent into the mortgage.

House 3 - (current house) was only a small mortgage anyway. Exdh inherited some money and we used it to pay off the mortgage.
    Wow, well done.

Do you find your life is easier, less stress for doing so?

Do you feel like your better off?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've paid off our first mortgage and have no other debts, two cars, but we have been looking to upsize for quite some time. That will put us back at square 1, but this time with only one income, 4 kids and just as sizeable, if not larger mortgage.

We've still got a bit of a uni student mentality. DH has made one stupid financial decision in this time but otherwise put all our money into it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To answer your question, no we have never. Ours won't be paid off until I'm back at work at least 4 days per week and probably once my 2 boys finish primary school.
    I'm hoping that once they're both in secondary school we are mortgage free and can focus on their education, cars and our super!
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 26-11-2014 at 19:02.