Closed Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    I get so annoyed when people label this as Sexual assault! The boy was 6, he can't be 'sexual' he wouldn't have urges. He's simple being silly or perhaps copying behaviours he has seen or been subject too (which of course is very sad).
    Semantics. Regardless of intention the effect on the victim (yes there is a victim) is still the same.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (25-11-2014),KitiK  (25-11-2014),Starfish30  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirligig View Post
    I work in OOHC. While the new school would not be provided with "the child's file" (children have a right to privacy too and there's a lot of third party and other confidential information in those files that is simply not relevant to the school environment), the child's caseworker and carer would have a meeting with the school prior to the child starting. Relevant information about behaviours and management strategies would be discussed. I'm not sure which state you're in, but in NSW each child in care is required to have an Individual Education Plan, so these planning meetings are mandated. Kids in care carry enough stigma throughout their lives already, I would leave to the immediate parties involved and educate my own children about protective behaviours in order to ensure they had firm boundaries.
    Yep this is how it works.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Whirligig  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CitrusRain View Post
    So basically this poor child who is most likely a victim himself is now stuck in a town where everyone thinks he's a deviant at the age of 6 because no one can mind their own business and leave it up to the relevant authorities. Poor kid.
    This exactly. My heart breaks for this little boy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    My friend has given me permission to mention the incident to the principal and state exactly what happened as she feels the same way in that the school needs to be aware. We both have an appointment with the principal on Thursday. As it turns out it is getting around town, dh just got home from work and a colleague knew about it.

dh and a work colleague did express their concerns to the grandfather when witnessing an incident with the boy and we also made a statement to dcp regarding other things we had witnessed. That's as much as we can do. It's up to dcp to look into what they are advised of.
    There's no doubt the incident is concerning and I'm very sorry your friend's child went through that. But he's 6. How is it getting around town? Obviously lots of people have been told not only about the incident but the fact he's in care and a child protection client.

Clearly you've decided to speak to the Principal despite what has been said here. But I can assure you, the Principal knows. They won't disclose to you they know as part of confidentiality. As whirligig said, the case manager would have had discussions with them as part of duty of care to the school and students. You are just going to look gossipy and nasty.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Anndrosa  (26-11-2014),atomicmama  (26-11-2014),BbBbBh  (25-11-2014),beebs  (26-11-2014),CompareTheMeerkat  (25-11-2014),HollyGolightly81  (26-11-2014),LaDiDah  (25-11-2014),Lauzy  (25-11-2014),TheGooch  (26-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Sorry but it wasn't just a game of kiss chasie gone wrong. One kid pulled another kids pants down and licked her bum. That's sexual assault that is going to scar that poor girl for life. I don't care how cold this sounds but my first priority would be protecting my own child instead of rehabilitating the boy. And unless a child psychologist said he's no longer a risk to other kids I wouldn't want him anywhere near my kid at school.
    I get what you're saying and yes you should protect your child, but the little boy is probably not learning this behaviour on his own, he is probably a victim himself, and I think it's sad that he is now being talked about around town and made out to be a bad kid when in reality he is probably being abused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    I get what you're saying and yes you should protect your child, but the little boy is probably not learning this behaviour on his own, he is probably a victim himself, and I think it's sad that he is now being talked about around town and made out to be a bad kid when in reality he is probably being abused.
    I agree. That poor boy, breaks my heart. I still wouldn't want him sitting near my kid unless I had some confidence that he had been rehabilitated and my kid would be safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why is such a private matter being discussed on a public forum???

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (25-11-2014),LaDiDah  (25-11-2014),MummaCat  (26-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Why is such a private matter being discussed on a public forum???
    Whaddya mean?? Private things are discussed on this forum all the time...

As far as I am aware no identifying details have been given. Heck I don't even know which town Kimberly lives in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I would have a very brief chat with the principal... Along the lines of "it's up to you. And I certainly don't expect you to divulge anything to me. However just incase things have slipped through the cracks I thought I would let you know. Fred Smith sexually assaulted a child last year. Dcs are aware if you want further details contact them. "

I disagree that it isn't your business. Hell if your kids are going to go to the school and be near this boy then it's damn well your business. I would chat with the principal purely out of a fear that something may have fallen through the cracks and the principal wasn't aware. When your kids safety is involved it's your right to stick your nose in. I wouldn't go gossiping to the other parents. If the boy started harassing kids at the new school I would demand the principal do something or I would tell the parents.

As for what to tell your kids. If it was me I would talk to my child about personal boundaries, tell them to be forceful if needed if someone invaded their personal space (eg pull down pants) and you know what I probably would tell them to stay clear of Fred Smith.
    thanks Vic Park. Someone that is on the same wave length... Finally.
    I intend to be brief with the principal simply stating that I wish to advise him of a sexual assault at named school and that child is enrolled to start at this school next year and due to the nature of the incident it is in everyone's best interest that he is made aware as named child will need to be closely monitored. Depending how the conversation goes I will go into the details of the incident. I am thinking it will go well, the principal knows me well enough to know I am not a troublemaker causing trouble I am simply a concerned parent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I understand why you'd be concerned KG. But I don't think that a meeting with the principal is going to help; as PP's have said, there are confidentiality laws surrounding this case, he's not going to be able to discuss anything with you!

If I were you it would just be reminding me to refresh my kids memory regarding safety and privacy, about keeping private parts safe and about how you must tell a trusted adult if anything happens that you're uncomfortable with. I'd probably also be a bit paranoid and ask my kids every so often next year about if they've met the new boy, is he nice etc, so that if anything untoward does happen, you will find out and be able to act on it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Jodes35  (25-11-2014)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast