Closed Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with everything you have said, therapists the whole bit, and of course I would speak to the principal if my child was assaulted at school. What concerns me about this little boy - is that it sounds like he isn't in a good environment still, and with everyone (not saying you or KG here) labelling him at 6 years old sexual deviant - I fear he is going to turn into a disturbed adult. It is almost like right now - something could be done for him, he with the right care and help he could turn out to be ok. But already with the way things are going, I don't think that will happen. Such a tragedy - for everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Just because I don't agree with you it doesn't mean I am not looking at it from all angles. It just means that I place one angle (my kids safety) above all others.

Good point about what would I do if my kid has been abused and in turn abused another kid. For starters I would take my kid to a therapist and have that therapist work with the school on an appropriate plan. I would expect the principal to have a plan to protect my kid from gossip and have measures in place to prevent other kids from being abused (by my child or others) in school. I would expect the principal to not divulge any personal details to other parents, but I would expect the principal to outline (in private) to concerned parents general measures that have been put in place to protect all kids from abuse in the school. I would rather a parent talk about their concerns in private with the principal, than go gossiping in the school yard. I don't think anything that Kimberly has done/suggested doing goes against this.

Can I throw a scenario your way? What would you do if it was your daughter that had been sexually assaulted by anther student in the toilets? How would you feel? Would you not chat with the principal and see what measures had been put in place to protect your kid? Or would you shy away from doing this in order to be not seen as a gossip? What if your kids best friend had been the one abused? Would you want to know what measures had been out in place to protect all kids?
    Last edited by beebs; 26-11-2014 at 10:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I agree with everything you have said, therapists the whole bit, and of course I would speak to the principal if my child was assaulted at school. What concerns me about this little boy - is that it sounds like he isn't in a good environment still, and with everyone (not saying you or KG here) labelling him at 6 years old - I fear he is going to turn into a disturbed adult. It is almost like right now - something could be done for him, he with the right care and help he could turn out to be ok. But already with the way things are going, I don't think that will happen. Such a tragedy - for everyone involved.
    And I agree with you on that. Hopefully the boy will get the help he needs and not be bullied or pigeon-holed. If things get too bad (I don't think we have enough evidence to suggest this is the case) it may be better for him to get a clean start in a new town.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It isn't about whether the current principal is doing something to manage the situation with the relevant parties. I know they are. It is about the principal at the new school the child will be going to being aware prior to the child transferring. The information of this nature wouldn't transfer from the current school to the new school as people suggest it would. I found this out this morning when making an enquiry with dcp so the principal at the new school will have no idea about what happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It definitely should transfer, that is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    It isn't about whether the current principal is doing something to manage the situation with the relevant parties. I know they are. It is about the principal at the new school the child will be going to being aware prior to the child transferring. The information of this nature wouldn't transfer from the current school to the new school as people suggest it would. I found this out this morning when making an enquiry with dcp so the principal at the new school will have no idea about what happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Admittedly I don't have any experience with DCP but on the east coast if there is ongoing involvement, which this boy has, that's simply not true the workers would not give some level of disclosure to the new school. I'm not sure why you've been told this. Teachers have said often this stuff is in the file that follows them. So between DCP and the schools he would know. Having said that, the public Dept of Ed is much more transparent than the catholic system...

I don't know who you talked to but I'm very surprised you were told that

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (26-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The information of this nature wouldn't transfer from the current school to the new school as people suggest it would.

I found this out this morning when making an enquiry with dcp so the principal at the new school will have no idea about what happened.
    If you've spoken with DCP and this is the information they gave you then I guess it's fair to assume that it's correct.

I'm surprised by it as well, but having lived in WA before (and worked in a government department there) and I'm aware that some things (including some government policies and procedures) are quite different to those in the Eastern states.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (26-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Admittedly I don't have any experience with DCP but on the east coast if there is ongoing involvement, which this boy has, that's simply not true the workers would not give some level of disclosure to the new school. I'm not sure why you've been told this. Teachers have said often this stuff is in the file that follows them. So between DCP and the schools he would know. Having said that, the public Dept of Ed is much more transparent than the catholic system...

I don't know who you talked to but I'm very surprised you were told that
    Yes the file follows but not details of this incident because of the nature of it. I had also spoken to my friend previously who used to work for dcp and she verified what I thought to be the case and then dcp verified the same this morning.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

sky1  (26-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quite frankly if my child was going to be attending a school where this had happened I would do WHATEVER it took to endure the safety of my child. If other adults got their knickers in a twist about it , it would be their problem, not mine.

I am so surprised so many people have an issue with the op speaking to the principal about it. That's his/ her job, to be aware of significant issues affecting the school.

I think every last one of you would react differently if it was your child at risk.

Just saying ...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (26-11-2014),sky1  (26-11-2014),VicPark  (26-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Closed at request of OP.