Closed Thread
Page 72 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    We are leaving soon to go on an overseas holiday where shellfish may be present in food cooked for us and since dp has a very mild allergy, my brother has a mild allergy and my aunty is anaphylactic we have always held off giving the girls shellfish until they are old enough to be able to tell us if they are having an kind of reaction. Anyway dp and I were discussing trying dd2 with shellfish before we leave so we knew if we had anything to worry about or had to be really careful in case she was allergic. Dp was worried if it might take a couple tries of shellfish for an allergy to reveal itself when mil pipes up she already let dd2 try shrimp paste in some cooking early in the year without us knowing... Unimpressed!
    Did she know that you were delaying feeding DD shellfish at the time she gave DD shrimp paste? Honestly until I had a baby and heard other people talking about it I had no idea that it was common for people not to give their babies foods like nuts and honey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Did she know that you were delaying feeding DD shellfish at the time she gave DD shrimp paste? Honestly until I had a baby and heard other people talking about it I had no idea that it was common for people not to give their babies foods like nuts and honey.
    We did it with dd1, and dp has major anxiety which is part of the reason we waited until dd1 was 7 to try shellfish and even then it was accidental because there were prawns in some food at my sister wedding and they had specified no shellfish with catering because it was against their religion. Dd2 is only 3. You only need to mention there might be shellfish around for dp to go into a panic. So yes she would have known.

Nuts and honey we are good with as there are none of those allergies in the family, although I accidentally gave her something with nuts in it when she was 5 months old and only told dp. Although we have always waited until they are 1 until we normally try nuts I caught mil giving dd2 sultanas from a fruit and nut pack when dd2 was under 12 months old. Her reasoning was it's OK because it's not the actual nut.

Sometimes I do wonder how her kids survived growing up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's my mum for me - MIL has some moments but I don't see her as often haha

My mum last week now the weather is warming up:
    M: "It's so hot today you should give DS some water"
    Me: "He seems ok and isn't giving hunger/thirst signs..."
    M: "it's about cooling him down he needs water!"
    Me: "He's had a full bottle an hour ago so ok I guess he can have a little cool water"

I gave him a 30ml bottle of water to suck on..which he just played with.

M: "Don't give him water he had a bottle he'll be too full & will be sick"

Just can't win.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeymama For This Useful Post:

Cevapa  (06-10-2015),HeavenBlue  (13-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's my Mum for me too... She's just not a very nice person.

When I had a miscarriage two years ago, she decided it was a good idea to start sending me patterns for baby things a week after I lost the baby as she wanted to prepare for her first grandchild. I was obviously very upset with her, she told me I was over reacting and to not be such a drama queen.

When my dog was sick 'Do you think she will die' I said no, she then proceeded to tell me that it was quite possible that my dog would die. My dog recovered and is perfectly healthy

Needless to say, I don't have much to do with her. I think she may actually be a psychopath, she has no empathy whatsoever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my Mother and my MIL have their moments. I often find my Mum harder to deal with, especially when I see her treating my son in the same way she used to treat me at times - putting him down and constantly riding and nagging him about things that are not a big deal and really should be up to his parents to deal with (I'm not talking about discipline, more along the lines of school work etc)

My MIL has a snide sneaky way about things which isn't as obvious. When my dh and I got married, he had already been divorced. It was my first marriage. She would constantly say things like "my friends already had to pay for wedding gifts once before, I don't think they should have to again. Don't send them the gift registry information. Despite it costing us over $120 per head to invite people I had never met to my wedding, which she didn't offer to help pay. It was a slap in the face to me that something which should be celebrated constantly had a tarnish that she had been through all this before, it wasn't my fault his ex-wife had run off with someone else!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This has bothered me all yesterday and today.

We announced our 2nd pregnancy to the IL's. All good, exciting etc. Then MIL looks at DS (who is 2.5) 'you won't be able to have mummy cuddles all the time now'.

WTF!?!?! I am trying to ensure DS does not feel left out or replaced - comments like that are not helpful.

I replied 'DS you can still have mummy cuddles whenever you want' to which she replied 'well you'll have to share - can't have mummy all to yourself'.

Argh!!!

DH told them we are most likely expecting a girl. I didn't really want to say that as they have been wanting a girl and were disappointed DS was a boy. Hope they don't show it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 10 week old DS has red hair. My mum said to me "heplusme, I'm a bit worried his hair will stay this colour."
    I love his hair! He's perfect! Screw you Gma!!!

Also constantly picking on his feeding. When I was bfing it was you have low supply he's not getting enough put him on formula etc. now he's on formula it's it must be the wrong formula he shouldn't eat this much you have to change. Dark off he sleeps through the night and has a bottle every 3 hours that is not too much for his age!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    We announced our 2nd pregnancy to the IL's. All good, exciting etc. Then MIL looks at DS (who is 2.5) 'you won't be able to have mummy cuddles all the time now'.

WTF!?!?! I am trying to ensure DS does not feel left out or replaced - comments like that are not helpful.

I replied 'DS you can still have mummy cuddles whenever you want' to which she replied 'well you'll have to share - can't have mummy all to yourself'.
    😡 this would infuriate me! My DD is around 2.5 and I'm expecting as well. We've had a few comments like this from the in laws and my parents, just generally about how DD will have to share and it won't just be her anymore etc.

I feel like telling them all to bugger off. Besides offering congratulations and being positive they really don't need to have deep discussions with my child about the new sibling, DH and I can take care of that ourselves, especially if they're just going to make it sound like her whole world is about to end.

Sometimes I wonder what goes through their minds when they make these idiotic comments.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (12-10-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default SH!T my MIL says

I posted this sonogram pic to Facebook with the comment that I'd never posted one on Facebook before but I thought this one was pretty cool (it's the first 3D sonogram I've had where you can actually SEE the baby!).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444677721.628358.jpg

Anyway, 36 of my friends "Liked" the picture and four made general comments before MIL came up with this gem, and I quote:

"That's just wrong in so many levels......"

Needless to say that I'm waiting till morning to respond. If I replied right now it wouldn't be pretty but yeah, nice way to talk about your future grandchild!

I get it, she never had kids (DH's step-mum) so she doesn't get a lot of this stuff but for frick's sake just keep your thoughts to yourself and keep scrolling!!! I won't even get into how she made me cry the last time we visited them (it wasn't baby related or particularly intentional but she did keep pushing on a topic I said I didn't want to talk about). Ugh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    How rude of her!!!

Hi little bubba!!!