Closed Thread
Page 68 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Sorry, I know this thread has been derailed but just to throw my two cents in; in some cultural groups marrying cousins is extremely common. In my extended family I have heaps of cousins who are married to each other, some of these marriages have even taken place in Australia.

I personally find it extremely weird, maybe because I've grown up my whole life in Aus but I would never marry a cousin and I wouldn't be supportive of my children doing it either. Never the less it happens probably way more than people realize in some communities and is definitely not illegal in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It's not illegal to marry your first cousin, even in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default SH!T my MIL says

Quote Originally Posted by isaevette86 View Post
    It is a very real problem... unfortunately our 2yr DD has been diagnosed with a rare genetic syndrome... it is early days on the genetic testing side of things for us but our geneticist has said she does strongly feel it comes from DP side of the family (of course this information has not gone down well with MIL and until we have results she lives in complete denial) I do have to admit it has crossed my mind, particularly since this whole cousin situation has arised, that it could possibly be due to this kind of family union that has taken place in another generation... we will never know the exact why of her syndrome and its not a blame game but it is a very real issue...
    I may be remembering this wrong, but when we saw a geneticist a couple years ago I'm fairly certain she said that BOTH parents have to be carriers of the gene which is why syndromes are rare, because it's rare to meet a person that has the same gene mutation as you. So you would both be carriers, not just him. Or, it can happen completely randomly, which means neither of you are carriers.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 27-09-2015 at 17:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes both parents have to be carriers even if its a recessive gene on both parts there is always a chance unfortunately. One parent may have it as dominant gene and the other may just be a carrier

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wobblermummy For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (27-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I may be remembering this wrong, but when we saw a geneticist a couple years ago I'm fairly certain she said that BOTH parents have to be carriers of the gene which is why syndromes are rare, because it's rare to meet a person that has the same gene mutation as you. So you would both be carriers, not just him. Or, it can happen completely randomly which means neither of you are carriers.
    Depends on the syndrome.
    My daughter has a rare genetic syndrome. In our particular case it is an autosomal recessive thing. We both have to be carriers. There's a 1 in 200 000 that would be the case. We had no idea. This means one of our parents also had to be carriers in order to pass this mutated gene onto us.

Not all syndromes work this way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are so utterly confusing and in 1 way happy not tested for everything pre ttc or I'd panic about every possibility of something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default SH!T my MIL says

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Depends on the syndrome.
    My daughter has a rare genetic syndrome. In our particular case it is an autosomal recessive thing. We both have to be carriers. There's a 1 in 200 000 that would be the case. We had no idea. This means one of our parents also had to be carriers in order to pass this mutated gene onto us.

Not all syndromes work this way.
    Cool, just thought I remembered the geneticist explaining it to us as that we were either both carriers or it happened randomly. So if we were both carriers our chances of it happening again to our next baby went up a certain percentage and if it was randomly then our risk stayed the same as with anybody else. Not up for getting our notes out to read her exact words. My point was that it's not really anybody's 'fault.' 😊
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 27-09-2015 at 18:34.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

isaevette86  (28-09-2015),Tamtam  (27-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    There are also conditions where only one allele has to be affected for it to manifest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cool, just thought I remembered the geneticist explaining it to us as that we were either both carriers or it happened randomly. So if we were both carriers our chances of it happening again to our next baby went up a certain percentage and if it was randomly then our risk stayed the same as with anybody else. Not up for getting our notes out to read her exact words. My point was that it's not really anybody's 'fault.' 😊
    Yep.
    For us. ... in our situation...we both have to carry it for a child of ours to have it. A 1 in 4 chance that our baby would the syndrome.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I may be remembering this wrong, but when we saw a geneticist a couple years ago I'm fairly certain she said that BOTH parents have to be carriers of the gene which is why syndromes are rare, because it's rare to meet a person that has the same gene mutation as you. So you would both be carriers, not just him. Or, it can happen completely randomly, which means neither of you are carriers.
    It depends on the genetic disease. Ie. Huntington's only requires the presence of one mutated gene, not two, as the condition is dominant.