Closed Thread
Page 67 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for the replies on the thread and not the actual individual messages ladies... im very new here and just realised what i was doing lol
    Last edited by isaevette86; 27-09-2015 at 06:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by isaevette86 View Post
    Lol yeeppp... cousins they are... it is common in these particular cousins... no judgement and each to there own but in this particular situation its just a no go zone... the worst things is she is here on holiday and they way they started to act i startd getting paranoid like is this actually happening lol
    so you're saying he's behaving as though he's down for it?

is this a cultural thing? never in my 35 years have I heard a MIL suggest her son marry his first cousin. perhaps my life has been extremely sheltered lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

isaevette86  (27-09-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    That was my thoughts...? And she's delusional if she thinks she can make them marry - its illegal for first cousins to marry!

Wow. Makes my MIL look like an angel in comparison :/
    Honestly... just as i think she has got nothing to hit me with its like BANG FREIGHT TRAIN!!!! LOL

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    so you're saying he's behaving as though he's down for it?

is this a cultural thing? never in my 35 years have I heard a MIL suggest her son marry his first cousin. perhaps my life has been extremely sheltered lol.
    Its definately a cultural thing... because of the war thats going on over there atm she is worried apparently... but to me its just another excuse to try to dig her nails in... im not the only one in the family she does it to so i try to not let it get me down anymore... its definately a process though lol... its nice to hear other peoples reactions on the topic though because sometimes i feel like im imagining it... she is very good at digging only when noone else is around to hear it lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    It's not illegal.
    Thankyou for that information... i really had no idea... i dont think it can happen because there is definately a law against marrying people to get them in the country and in this particular circumstance being first cousins im sure it would not get over looked...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by isaevette86 View Post
    Its definately a cultural thing... because of the war thats going on over there atm she is worried apparently... but to me its just another excuse to try to dig her nails in... im not the only one in the family she does it to so i try to not let it get me down anymore... its definately a process though lol... its nice to hear other peoples reactions on the topic though because sometimes i feel like im imagining it... she is very good at digging only when noone else is around to hear it lol
    Ill tell you something thats even funnier... this girl is actually married herself... it really does disgust me... she has a good husband who she loves but wants to leave because of the problems his sisters cause... correct if im wrong please but i think the saying is its ok for the goose and not the gander??? Its just not fair on my LOs that this goes on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Through my work I saw an instance of cousins marrying and having kids in the last 12 months. They had to have a DNA (?) test to ensure the kids they would have would not have any 'inbreeding' (please tell me there is a better word for this - I feel terrible writing it) issues.

Of all the people in the world and you end up with your cousin.
    It is a very real problem... unfortunately our 2yr DD has been diagnosed with a rare genetic syndrome... it is early days on the genetic testing side of things for us but our geneticist has said she does strongly feel it comes from DP side of the family (of course this information has not gone down well with MIL and until we have results she lives in complete denial) I do have to admit it has crossed my mind, particularly since this whole cousin situation has arised, that it could possibly be due to this kind of family union that has taken place in another generation... we will never know the exact why of her syndrome and its not a blame game but it is a very real issue...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default SH!T my MIL says

It happens... My second cousins (who are first cousins to each other) got married when I was a kid. It wasn't the norm though and their families were against it. I think some refused to go to the wedding. No cultural differences either - they are stock standard Aussies of mixed European (mainly English) background.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    It happens... My second cousins (who are first cousins to each other) got married when I was a kid. It wasn't the norm though and their families were against it. I think some refused to go to the wedding. No cultural differences either - they are stock standard Aussies of mixed European (mainly English) background.
    Yeah I have to say that if DS grew up and wanted to be in a relationship with one of his first cousins I wouldn't be supportive of it. I'd like to think I'd always support my child no matter what, if he decided that he wanted to live life as a female, or marry a man, or marry a woman 20 years his senior I'd support him without a doubt. But marrying a close relative...I just don't think I could wrap my head around it... :/ I'd never disown him or cut him off, but I just couldn't support it. Then I'd be the awful MIL who was being vented about!

Maybe this is a spin off thread!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My grandpa and his brother married his cousin and her sister. Explains a lot about my family.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (27-09-2015),Gentoo  (27-09-2015)