Closed Thread
Page 43 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I love my MIL. I actually consider her mum lol. But here are some from my mum.

"DH is balding, you know that when a man goes bald prematurely that is a definite sign of cheating" *Glares at DH across the dinner table.

"Why arent you out of hospital yet? You should have been out the day following birth. Your just being lazy! 2 days after I had 12 hours of labor and then an emergency c-section, a drip ripped out of my arm while they ran me to theatre and DD had almost died.

"Pot oil, Im telling you!" A suggestion for DDs first cold (and every single other ailment my family has had)

"Im telling you, use pot oil or smoke the occasional cone. It will help. Look at me!? I havent got a single stretch mark!!!" When i wad upset about my stretch marks post bub.

And then she rings and wonders why wr dont visit her often and only stay at my dads house when visiting my home town...:what::what:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Zeddie View Post
    DS is sick and I texted mil to ask if she could babysit for the day as he couldn't go to daycare and I am super busy at work and couldn't really take today off.
    I get this charming reply
    Attachment 68872

I have never ever asked her to babysit if I was at home I've only asked when on the odd occasion I desperately needed to work and usually she is happy to help out
    Older people tend to be terrible at texting and always come across snippy or rude I find, my mum and mil and dad all text exactly like that. We all use !? when texting to show we are being polite or whatever but older people just literally type exactly what they are thinking which often sounds nonchalant or rude.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

Mod-Zeddie  (02-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheaty View Post
    I read that message so differently, as in you can tell work you have a sick child and can't go in as you don't have a babysitter (I'm busy, conveniently for you so you can get some rest as you've been so busy at work) but if you really have to go I'll be there.
    Not saying that's what she meant... But if my MIL sent me that msg that is the way I'd take it

But if she is the sort of person who would mean it in the you're just slacking off tone then I'd be ****ed too
    This is what I thought too.
    There is SO much miscommunication when it comes to texting.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Mod-Zeddie  (02-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is so interesting on "which way to take the text". I would have taken it the way Zeddie first thought as well, and I often get texts similar from my MIL. I do agree that some people don't send nice sounding texts and my MIL is one of them. Thing is, she can be a controlling biatch at times so I tend to take that into consideration when reading her texts!
    Interestingly, I have also been accused of being harsh via text when I never ever mean it to sound like that so I might have to take my DH's advise which is to stop texting with MIL and just call her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get all sorts of comments from my MIL but a recent one that's stuck in my mind is:

Me: Oh yeh DH has to use (a certain type of soap) now.

MIL: Oh whys that?

Me: Oh he gets some weird eczema on his hands.

MIL: Really? Well that NEVER would have happened in my house...

Urgh, idiot.

I wasn't quick enough to respond but should have asked what the hell that means exactly!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hope77 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (06-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I definitely read @Mod-Zeddie's mil's text as rude but now the pp pointed it out I could see the other interpretation. I do wonder sometimes whether my own tense relationship with my in laws makes me more inclined to interpret all il interaction as negative?

My in laws arrive in town today for the Easter weekend. I don't think it's going to go well as they're already openly annoyed we didn't offer to have them stay (not an option as I'm currently sleeping in the spare bed with sick dd). Let's see what doozies I have to report back by the end of their visit!

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    talking about interpreting text messages. I have a cousin who sends texts always in UPPER case because she cant see the small letters. I have to remember she is not shouting at me, , the joys of old age. marie.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Best Things  (02-04-2015),Chillies  (02-04-2015),littlelove  (02-04-2015),Redcorset  (02-04-2015),Teenz  (02-04-2015),TheGooch  (03-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like my mil but there are times she can kind of overtake things. I don't think she means it. She's only trying to help. Like for example she went out and sent invitations to people (dp's family) about my son's upcoming 1st birthday without saying anything. I wanted to get special invitations done with photos of my son. They were people I would have invited anyway so I didn't say anything but yeah...she can be a bit of a control feral at times. We get along though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yeah and seeing as though my youngest is her first grandson she's always telling me and dp to be careful and make sure you don't leave him in the car when you go out or don't do this and don't do that . I know she means well but she gets really paranoid. Dp just rolls his eyes at her lol

NurseAnni is offline Winner 2014 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    @hope77 my mil is exactly the same. We now can't use soap based shampoo so use the oatmeal stuff due to dp having bad psoriasis/dermatitis on his scalp. Mil's response: 'he didn't need it when he lived here' ummmm maybe he did that's why we have to work harder to fix it now!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NurseAnni For This Useful Post:

hope77  (03-04-2015)