Closed Thread
Page 4 of 101 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    My mil seems to have some sort of ongoing imaginary competition running with my mother. The other day out of the blue
    Mil: "does your mother make lace?"
    Me: busy trying to calm crying dd. "Um, no"
    Mil: "well I can make lace."
    Me: "okay"

Out shopping for dd
    Mil: "if your mother was here how much would she buy?"
    Me: "mum's not a big shopper"
    Mil: "well I'm going to get lots of things."

It's just so random!

this made me laugh

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should preface this by saying that my MIL is generally pretty good, but (as with all family members) she has her non-tactful moments.

After DS was born and I was uncomfortable from the numerous stitches (epi and tear)....

MIL: I never had anything like that with my four kids. But I guess you're no spring chicken...

(FWIW, I was 36 - hardly material for an old age home.)
    Last edited by Gentoo; 25-11-2014 at 13:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just one example of a typical conversation with my MIL...

MIL is cuddling DD.
    Me: OK, DD, it's time for lunch
    MIL: no not yet. She doesn't want lunch.

Repeat for all mealtimes, bbedtimes etc. MIL will tell people what a perfect toddler DD is, but then also have a go at me for being 'too hung up on her routine, you should just let her have fun'. Doesn't seem to realise that perhaps being consistent and making sure DD isn't hungry or overtired is probably related to her (generally) good behaviour!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I have a few gems from my mil

At school pick up a few years ago now I asked mil to hold on a second because dd1 wanted me to try to organize a play date with a girl in her class, who happened to have downs. When I walked back from taking to the mum a few meters away mil said "they shouldn't even let kids like that in main ****** school. All they do is take the attention away from all the normal kids and they end up learning nothing. Those kids aren't going to actually learn anything or be a productive part of society anyway. The same as kids with cp and autistic kids". I was dumb founded by that one and told her otherwise. I vented on here at the time about that one.

When fil died (they separated about 20 years ago but never divorced) "I guess that makes me a widow now" in an excited tone as if it were a novelty club to be part of. Oh and "well (her son)dp wasn't that close to him anyway so he won't be that upset" when we told her he had died. I replied back with "um no actually we had been seeing quite a bit of him lately and they had gotten quite close actually".

There are a few more but I'm getting irritated just thinking about them.
    Omg are you sure we don't have the same MIL? mine said almost an identical thing to DP when his father passed. It was just shocking she would even mention being a widow when they too had separated long ago AND MILs new partner was present also. : O

A few weeks after DPs father passed she called to chat and causally drops mid sentence into a rant about how he should move on already. Nothing you can do about it, get over it.
    - it blew me away how ignorant a mother could be of her own sons feelings.

MIL joins us for dinner at a local cafe, I was BFing DD. Button down top and a singlet- couldn't see a thing. She then starts telling me that 'she doesn't mean me of course.. Cause I'm being discreet- but other ppl she sees BFing she finds offensive and doesn't want to eat her dinner with such a sight. Followed by a lecture on how I should just be careful I'm not offending ppl. Surely there is a parents room or toilet you could use?
    - cue very informative discussion about how little I give a f*** what other ppl think of my child having her dinner and how I will not be conducting a survey to make sure other ppl are ok with it nor sitting on a toilet to BF.

My all time fav MIL moment was when she announced on FB that her first grandchild was born and how excited she was to finally be a nan, she thought this day would never come.
    Never mind the fact that she has two grandsons as both her sons are FT stepdads and she has been demanding they call her grandma for the last 4+yrs.

Mostly my MIL is ignorant and living in her own little bubble with little to no regard of anyone else's feelings or views. It doesn't really bother me anymore, it does bother DP. He's just given up talking to her. But I'm almost certain she thinks that's because I have 'made him' turn away from her. Not that she has pushed him too far and he doesn't want to be involved in her drama anymore.
    Last edited by MadeWithLove; 25-11-2014 at 13:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Laughing out loud at these!

I have so many. MIL is a walking misconception. It's quite staggering. DH is the golden child. He is one of 2 boys. I know she thinks I'm full on because DH and I actually communicate and I speak up if something is bothering me. I could write a book.

We eat minimal processed food and MIL thinks I'm 'mean' for depriving my kids. The other day the kids were going around there for a play.

MIL: I bought the kids a healthy snack for afternoon tea

Me: oh, that's great

Walk into kitchen, pack of cinnamon donuts on bench.

MIL: they have cinnamon, which is good for you. The icing ones aren't.

The sad part is she's not even kidding.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

olismumma  (26-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    - I have had two newborns in summer and every time she asks me if I'm giving them water to drink. I tell her no I'm breastfeeding that is sufficient hydration for them, but she always goes on to say that her mother used to give her newborns bottles of water and that I'm risking dehydration by relying on my breastmilk alone.!
    My MIL kept going on about giving our first born water too. He was born in January, so yes it was hot. I explained that he midwife had told us that breast milk was fine as it was mostly made of water anyway so there was no need to give a bottle of water to him. Her response...'sometimes the old ways are better than the new ways'.

Her continual asking of when we were going to start Ds1 on solids also started to become an annoyance...especially when she started asking when he was only a month old. When I told her we would be doing BLW and not starting until at least 6 months old, she almost had a fit! Haha.

She was on the phone to DH the other day and was asking about how his weight loss was going (he's on a health kick to lose some unwanted kilos and to get fit). He told her he had already lost 36kg in about 6 weeks...instead of congratulating him or saying how amazing that is, she said 'oh well you will have less trouble with your knees now' (he wasn't having trouble with his knees before this...). Really upsets me that she can't be happy for him or congratulate him though

She was overheard by one of my friends saying that she thought there was something psychologically wrong with our youngest because he wasn't a good sleeper. Nice....

Before I had DS1 she kept telling me that I would not be able to breast feed him because I was having a c section and my milk wouldn't come in. Sure showed her...he fed for 2 years with no problems what so ever and my milk came in on day 3.

Loved this one...when she was visiting one day when DS1 was a few months old and I started breast feeding him..."are you still feeding him?!' Ummm yes...he sort of needs my milk to survive....

I could go on and on...

Thanks
    Reviews
    MIL: I'll take ds f or a walk (ds is 2.5 weeks old)
    ME: He will want a feed in an hour so don't be too long.
    MIL: Ok, won't be long. Can you carry the pram down the stairs? (2 levels)
    ME: No, I can't lift anything (csec). There is a pram in the garage
    MIL: I don't like that one
    ME: I'm not carrying this one
    MIL: It can't be that heavy. Ill just put him in and push it down the stairs.
    ME: Ummm, no you won't

Same event but 4 hours later and I was beside myself.
    ME: Where have you been? I tried calling. He's starving. His feed was due 3 hours ago!
    MIL: He's fine. Just a few tears.{He was sobbing]. Thought you would appreciate the break. Seems not. You're a bit het up. Calm down. He's fine. I AM a nurse so I should know.

Later: MIL to FOB: 'Anxious mother. You better watch her. It's likely she'll get PND
    [This is the woman who had no issue with leaving her son at 6 weeks old with an 18 yo babysitter for 2 weeks whilst she had a holiday].

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally my inlaws are fine and they mean well but just sometimes don't get it.

Main ones for me were checking with DH a month before our wedding that he 'was sure he wanted to marry me'. Ummmm ok?!
    When they came to stay with us a few months ago (they live in the UK) my MIL kept going on about what a shame it was that my mum hadn't visited (I'm actually perfectly happy that she hasn't) and when I replied that it was a long way (also lives in UK) and my mum got travel sick she responded with 'well I know it's a long way but I do it otherwise I wouldn't get to see my SON and GRANDDAUGHTER.' Yes, don't mind me just sitting here, cooking all your meals, giving birth to your granddaughter, suggesting you stay with us instead of a hotel etc. Plus, yes I know you are a better parent and grandparent than my mum - I'm happy to admit and stipulate to that but you don't need to make a song and dance about how you are visiting and she isn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm loving this thread and @BettyV I think we have the same MIL!! Mine says the same random stuff and usually always in reference somehow to my Mum.

Every time I speak to mine she asks me "what does your Mum do to fill in her day". It doesn't sound so bad, but when it is asked every.single.time gah!

After I had my first baby who was a C/s, Mil and FIl came to stay at around the 8 day mark. Mil had seen me taking paracetamol every 4 hours for pain as advised by the Doctor and when another visited remarked to me how dd was an amazing sleeper, MIl said 'That's because of all the drugs her mother's been taking". Eight days post partum and suffering with PND, when I heard that I quietly went in my room and cried in my walk-in robe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Uniquey View Post
    I'm loving this thread and @BettyV I think we have the same MIL!! Mine says the same random stuff and usually always in reference somehow to my Mum.

Every time I speak to mine she asks me "what does your Mum do to fill in her day". It doesn't sound so bad, but when it is asked every.single.time gah!

After I had my first baby who was a C/s, Mil and FIl came to stay at around the 8 day mark. Mil had seen me taking paracetamol every 4 hours for pain as advised by the Doctor and when another visited remarked to me how dd was an amazing sleeper, MIl said 'That's because of all the drugs her mother's been taking". Eight days post partum and suffering with PND, when I heard that I quietly went in my room and cried in my walk-in robe.
    i hope we have the same mil because I'm not sure the world needs two of them!

That drug comment was just horrible! How rude!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (25-11-2014)