Closed Thread
Page 27 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    When i was pregnant and my mil asked when i was due i responded.....i am due on the 1st of jan but i know the baby will make an early apperance because i have huge medical issues.

"Oh no you wont. Nobody in our family is in a hurry to get anywhere anytime soon."

Ummm. Your son is sitting right there. :O

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Everytime I mention how hard it is to find nice looking clothes that you can both bf in and be pregnant in MIL helpfully says "but you can just stop feeding DD, she really doesn't need it anyway."

I get she is 19 months now and that is unusual for you but your hints that I should wean DD are neither subtle nor helpful. kthxbi

Also she let DSS's go swimming till 7pm the night she picked them up in their nice clothes from their mum's house (who is super picky). I packed bags which had swimmers and the pool was at an uncles house like 2 doors down from hers. Then she let them stay up till midnight and now DSS1 has an ear infection and the chlorine soaked clothes are still not washed as she didn't ensure they were sent back. GRRRR!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (23-12-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (23-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing
    These are hilarious

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is an interesting thread...

I'll start by saying my Mil and I get on really well usually, but some things she does annoy me although she means well,

Like every time I say something to DD, she rephrases it. She doesn't mean it to correct me, but it makes me feel like everything I say to DD is wrong. She's just joining in in her own special way:/ I told her this and whilst she tries not to do it now that she knows, I haven't seen much improvement yet.

Then when DD was a baby, if she was struggling to get to sleep or being challenging for whatever reason, Fil would just take over. Another way to make me feel like a failure and not let me learn to sort it myself:/

The most annoying thing though, which both the ILs and my own parents did was talking to DD when I was bfing or trying to get her to sleep...

My own dad is the worst though. Don't get me wrong, I love him dearly, but it p's me off so much that his favourite nickname for me (and sometimes dd too) is fatty or something along those lines. So rude. Dd is on the chunky side (20kg, 104cm at 3 years old) but hasn't put on any weight in a year, and I'm a bit bigger than I used to be (currently 68kg and 167cm, was 60kg after dd was born) but there's no need for that. It's no wonder I have issues with body image... And I'm pretty sure mum does too. I'll be damned if I allow him to speak that way to Dd!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had a fight with MIL about me teaching dd the word vagina.... She overheard dd talking about it...

MIL was so disgusted and told me that it was completely inappropriate for her to know what her private parts are called until dd knows when it's appropriate to use 'that word'...

Unfortunately I was so flabbergasted by her response that any rational argument went out the window and I just snapped at MIL 'well I don't want dd to end up a prude like you!!'

Awkward silence commence....

(I think she's realising I vent about her because every time we have a tiff I rush off and type furiously on my phone lol)
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 23-12-2014 at 10:03.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (23-12-2014),azelqra  (23-12-2014),CakeyMumma  (23-12-2014),Chillies  (23-12-2014),DizzyDaisy  (23-12-2014),Full House  (23-12-2014),TheGooch  (23-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Just had a fight with MIL about me teaching dd the word vagina.... She overheard dd talking about it...

MIL was so disgusted and told me that it was completely inappropriate for her to know what her private parts are called until dd knows when it's appropriate to use 'that word'...

Unfortunately I was so flabbergasted by her response that any rational argument went out the window and I just snapped at MIL 'well I don't want dd to end up a prude like you!!'

Awkward silence commence....

(I think she's realising I vent about her because every time we have a tiff I rush off and type furiously on my phone lol)
    See that annoys me. I use the word vagina so freely every day at work, I feel silly calling it anything else. Vagina is not an offensive word at all. I feel more awkward when the patients who come in with English as a second language refer to it as their "pussy". Oh yes, that has happened. Vagina is a much nicer word. Same goes for Penis. It's not a doodle or a pee pee, it's a penis (I'll accept willy though haha).

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (23-12-2014),Chillies  (23-12-2014),KitiK  (23-12-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (23-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    See that annoys me. I use the word vagina so freely every day at work, I feel silly calling it anything else. Vagina is not an offensive word at all. I feel more awkward when the patients who come in with English as a second language refer to it as their "pussy". Oh yes, that has happened. Vagina is a much nicer word. Same goes for Penis. It's not a doodle or a pee pee, it's a penis (I'll accept willy though haha).
    I loathe the word 'pussy' too. It really sounds awful to hear coming out someone's mouth, especially a woman. It's sounds so crude or cheap.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (26-12-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (23-12-2014),LoveLivesHere  (23-12-2014),M'LadyEm  (23-12-2014),mrswhitehouse  (24-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    Yes as a nurse I'm not offended or embarrassed by the word- and yes pussy does get used a lot with those as English a second language! I do cringe at that!
    I'm a big believer that it's better dd knows the word instead of just ignoring the whole area when naming body parts!
    Who cares about VAGINAS!!!! Or PENISES!!! It's only funny or inappropriate to say those words if you teach people it is....

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Frozenapples  (13-09-2015),HeavenBlue  (23-12-2014),LoveLivesHere  (23-12-2014),M'LadyEm  (23-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Child assault prevention wisdom states that teaching children the actual proper names for their body parts enables kids to have more ownership over them, and also (God forbid) should someone actually touch them inappropriately it can hold up in court. It's ridiculous for her to have - let alone express - this opinion, and it's borderline dangerous as well. Why should your DD feel like vagina is a bad or embarrassing word?!

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (23-12-2014),Chillies  (23-12-2014),KitiK  (23-12-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (23-12-2014),littlelove  (23-12-2014),LoveLivesHere  (23-12-2014),Ra Ra Superstar  (23-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    See lately it's not so much what MIL says, but does. MIL has this knack for buying someone the same thing we've bought them. Mainly because we tell her what we've bought and then a few days later she has this brilliant idea and goes and buys the same thing. A few years back, DH told her we bought FIL a ukulele for Christmas. Imagine our surprise on Christmas morning when we went over and there he was playing with his new ukulele that MIL bought him. Then last year I bought DH some camp chairs (on behalf of my sister interstate) and mentioned to MIL in passing that I was buying them. Come Christmas Day, and surprise surprise, DH ends up with 4 new camp chairs. 2 from my sister and BIL and 2 from MIL. I'm worried this year. DH sent his Mum an email or text the other day to say what we'd bought FIL and BIL from Christmas. MIL rings yesterday morning to check what we'd bought FIL (a weather station) and when I told her she was like oh, ok. Well I'll cross that off the list. Hopefully she doesn't buy BIL the same thing as us! Trouble is they normally open all their presents before we get there. I've told DH to call his Mum and ensure they wait til we get there this year to open presents. It's just the 5 of us and we're all adults, so it shouldn't be an issue. Except 18yo BIL has ADD and I reckon he'll be tearing his hair out not being able to open his presents at the crack of dawn....