+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We're doing daycare kindy program due to the flexibility of hours rather than a set 08:30-2:30 and he's already there so it saves moving him for only a year before prep. We get CCR and ccb and so it's not that expensive for us. Meals provided so I don't have to pack him a lunch. Winner

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine do daycare kindy, they're in daycare 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. Kindy would never be an option for us.

I'm already concerned about how school will work next year, as my boy will have BSC, prep, then ASC. Too much and way too much changing environments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have always been a full time working mum - currently on long (well deserved!) leave. I never had an option the first time around, dd1, who is 6 spent her first 4-5 years in daycare, then straight to school and after school care. I am lucky ebough this time to be on leave when dd2 should be going to kindy (and on mat leave for ds1) so its a bit of new territory trying to weigh up options for us. Its also the first care arrangement (other than school as dd2 is in p/t daycare) where I have had to provide food! Not that I mind that. Its such a minefield knowing we only get CCR, not CCA or B to work out the real cost. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son will be doing both plus family daycare next year. My local kindergarten (preschool) has an 8:30-4pm 2 days per week option (so still 15hr per week). I can get a few cents back per hour from centrelink (ccb for registered care I think). He currently goes to FDC 3 days per week but is getting a bit bored so I have enrolled him 2 days per week at a childcare Kindy program as well. I will get ccr and ccb (depending on income) for this, the hours are longer (if needed) and they provide food. Kindergarten/preschool for us is cheaper than the childcare centre but more than I pay after rebates at family daycare. It is also only available during the school term so I will have to take a bit of leave during school holidays. I figure it is better preparation for school the following year than FDC so I'm happy to send him. All our other local kindergartens do the 5 day fortnight 8:30-2:30pm. There is the option for after hours care at a few but you still have the every second Wednesday and school holidays problem. I'm lucky my local kindergarten does the longer hours 2 days per week program otherwise we wouldn't be able to use it.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have recently weighed up preschool vs daycare for DD2.

Preschool here is $38 a day no CCR
    Daycare is $92 a day before rebates, after rebates for us is $46 a day.

So $8 a day more for daycare but daycare provides all meals plus i can drop off and pick up when convenient whereas preschool has strict hours.

Plus for us the preschool is an extra 15mins drive.

So in the end daycare with preschool program wins in our situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been told sending my son to preschool would be a lot cheaper than sending him to daycare. My son has been in the same daycare since he was 14 months old and is now 4, next year he will be starting big school. I love his daycare teachers and couldn't take him away from them or his friends even if it did save me a couple of $$.