+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kindergarten/pre school vs daycare help needed

So I am a little bit confused about the whole 4 year old kindy vs daycare (kindy program)...

I have been looking at booking my dd2 into pre school (9 - 3pm) and have been advised that the fees for the year are about $3k (no problem)

Does this $3k contribution qualify for the CCR?

I can always put her into after school care if needed.

If I had her in the daycare preschool program, it would cost me approx $90 per day...? Thats full fees before rebate. But would give me long daycare hours and pee school program (with CCR)

Is my understanding right?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As far as I know CCR is not available for pre-schools. If the pre-school is a registered care centre you can get CCB if you qualify. Here is a link that might help http://www.preschoolsnsw.org.au/faqs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    As far as I know CCR is not available for pre-schools. If the pre-school is a registered care centre you can get CCB if you qualify. Here is a link that might help http://www.preschoolsnsw.org.au/faqs
    This.

My eldest will be doing a 5 day fortnight at a c&k kindy and 2 long daycare days a week next year.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So, it seems it will be cheaper and more convenient for me to put her into kindy and pay after school care. At least the ASC counts for CCR...

Just begs the q, why would anyone leave their kids in a childcare setting for kindy and pay the $90 odd dollars a day?

Or am I confused...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    So, it seems it will be cheaper and more convenient for me to put her into kindy and pay after school care. At least the ASC counts for CCR...

Just begs the q, why would anyone leave their kids in a childcare setting for kindy and pay the $90 odd dollars a day?

Or am I confused...
    For myself if I place my ds1 in a separate preschool it will be the local catholic one as that is where he will be going to big school. That will mean preschool fees (it's not free). Which are $55 per day, or $96 if you get the before and after school care. Plus a little enrollment and excursion fee each term about $50. Daycare is $110. Both are eligible for CCb and CCR. For only about $10 difference per day I can have my ds1 in the daycare preschool room which is much easier for drop off and pick up considering ds2 will still be at daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post

Or am I confused...
    Our eldest is doing independent kindy because I am on mat leave but our other 2 will be doing kindy through daycare because we don't have after school care available and I work 45m from kinder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess it works out much of a muchness really, depending on circumstances, distance, availability etc. I am debating whether I need ASC at all (might do 1 x day a week for a while) so works out about $60 per day for kindy (over a 52 week year), but taking into consideration I wont have any "kid free" days on the school holidays, I might need a holiday program 1 or 2 days a week.... hmmm

Thanks
    Reviews
    We kept DD in the daycare kindy program for the 3 days a week I work as near us none of the stand alone kindys had after school care and the hours didn't fit in with my work hours. You still get CCR for day care kindy so while full fees are $90-100, you get about half of that back.

Also this meant she could stay with the kids she had grown up with at daycare. The local school also put all the kids from her daycare in the same prep class so it worked out really well for us and for DD's friendship group. DS is now at the same local centre and will stay there until he starts school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Kindergarten/pre school vs daycare help needed

I'll have to keep DS in childcare for the kindy program as I work full time.

It is a lot more expensive but if he was going to a standalone kinder program I'd have to figure something out for school holiday.

So standalone kinder is sadly not an option for full time working parents

However childcare gives me a good rate because he goes full time.
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 24-11-2014 at 18:17.