+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    44
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LlamaMa View Post
    Why don't you want to go to Casey?

    This is probably not going to be what you are interested in hearing, but another spin on things for you.. I have had one baby at Dandenong (planned for Casey but developed a complication and had to transfer to Dandenong. Casey Maternity unit more able now, and if that complication arose now I wouldn't be transferred), two at Casey and one recently at home through Caseys homebirth program. I know you say you really don't want to go there, but we have had such wonderful experiences through Casey. We even had the same awesome MW care for us through three of our pregnancies and births (including our homebirth). Continuity of care was fantastic. For the two births I had in Casey, for both of my hospital stays I was in a room by myself, and I am not a private patient, nor did I have complicated births.
    Oh really! I have heard so many horror stories so it is a positive thing to hear some good stories come out of Casey.

    I know 2 ladies at work, and a girlfriend of my best friend who had their babies at Casey and they were just so displeased with everything. One of the girls had serious issues there and vowed never to go back! Like life/death issues with her bubs but can’t comment what had happened as i haven’t spoken to her personally as this was my girlfriends friend

    I do understand though that every hospital has good and bad stories and that everyone has their own experiences, but the amount of negativity surrounding Casey has just really put me off! But I suppose if we decide not to go private and stick with public that we’ll really have no other choice so reading that you have had a good experience is great!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to missmizchelle For This Useful Post:

    LlamaMa  (25-11-2014)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    44
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    I saw all my bills in full when I was a private patient in a public hospital (because it was my responsibility to forward to Medicare and PHI to have them paid), mine were over $10k and my daughter's were near to $250k. Obviously for my DD's case you'd be need to be in a public hospital and you'd be covered that way, but if you birthed initially at a private it'd still be the > $10k fee for you.
    wow....a lot of money!!!

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,130
    Thanks
    100
    Thanked
    221
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hijack, but I'm just wondering if Warragul Hospital have a private health insurance liaison officer and any incentives for going private. I'll be going midwife care, but just wanting a private room. Ie; Ballarat Base hospital pay your health insurance excess for using your PHI in a public hospital.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,539
    Thanks
    519
    Thanked
    450
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missmizchelle View Post
    Oh really! I have heard so many horror stories so it is a positive thing to hear some good stories come out of Casey.

    I know 2 ladies at work, and a girlfriend of my best friend who had their babies at Casey and they were just so displeased with everything. One of the girls had serious issues there and vowed never to go back! Like life/death issues with her bubs but can’t comment what had happened as i haven’t spoken to her personally as this was my girlfriends friend

    I do understand though that every hospital has good and bad stories and that everyone has their own experiences, but the amount of negativity surrounding Casey has just really put me off! But I suppose if we decide not to go private and stick with public that we’ll really have no other choice so reading that you have had a good experience is great!
    I have heard stories out of lots of hospitals, i don't think any are immune to dramas. Casey do ward tours....maybe keep your options open and go have a look for yourself. Good luck, decisions like this can be tough.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to LlamaMa For This Useful Post:

    missmizchelle  (25-11-2014)

  7. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    44
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LlamaMa View Post
    I have heard stories out of lots of hospitals, i don't think any are immune to dramas. Casey do ward tours....maybe keep your options open and go have a look for yourself. Good luck, decisions like this can be tough.
    Yea same....all hospitals have had people with bad experiences! I guess I just hear a lot about Casey, sometimes it's easier to focus or remember the negative! I will keep my options open and will definitely look into a ward tour closer to when we finally start trying. Thanks so much for your replies

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to missmizchelle For This Useful Post:

    LlamaMa  (25-11-2014)

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    107
    Reviews
    0
    I had my d's at Casey hospital and found the overall experience really good. They actually saved my son's life as he was born with sepsis and one of the mw felt something was wrong, she called for the paed who thought they should run some tests just to be on the safe side. If they hadn't have done that I hate to think what might have happened. Good luck in your decision.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to LilMuffin For This Useful Post:

    missmizchelle  (26-11-2014)

  11. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked
    160
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmi View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but I'm just wondering if Warragul Hospital have a private health insurance liaison officer and any incentives for going private. I'll be going midwife care, but just wanting a private room. Ie; Ballarat Base hospital pay your health insurance excess for using your PHI in a public hospital.
    @Emmi I believe they do. I'm not sure what incentives you mean but I think they wave the gap fee and you get priority to private room provided others haven't had emergency c sections

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to SageS For This Useful Post:

    Emmi  (27-11-2014)

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked
    44
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LilMuffin View Post
    I had my d's at Casey hospital and found the overall experience really good. They actually saved my son's life as he was born with sepsis and one of the mw felt something was wrong, she called for the paed who thought they should run some tests just to be on the safe side. If they hadn't have done that I hate to think what might have happened. Good luck in your decision.
    That's wonderful to hear! And thanks

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,106
    Thanks
    455
    Thanked
    455
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you aren't keen on the local then it's best to get obstetrics added. You never know the outcome even if you have a straightforward/low risk pregnancy. I ended up with an emergency csection & my daughter was in special care for 6 nights. It was well over $10k.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

    missmizchelle  (26-11-2014)

  16. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    4,662
    Thanks
    1,961
    Thanked
    2,567
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SageS View Post
    @Emmi I believe they do. I'm not sure what incentives you mean but I think they wave the gap fee and you get priority to private room provided others haven't had emergency c sections
    Ours even refund any gaps. It's awesome.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Private Patient in Public Hospital Brisbane with Bupa
    By greenfairy in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-09-2014, 18:52
  2. Have private health cover but planning on going public
    By kw123 in forum Private Health Insurance Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 15-08-2014, 11:15
  3. Has anyone birthed as a private patient in public hospital?
    By heartstringz in forum Private Health Insurance Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 17:36

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
Baby Sensory
Baby Sensory is the only baby programme that offers a complete approach to learning & development. Our classes offer an exciting world full of fun sensory experiences for parents and babies to enjoy.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!