+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just so you know, Casey hospital has a good maternity unit. Private rooms, and many different models of care. You could also go to warragul hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP, you should be able to go to Warragul Hospital. We're moving from Ballarat to Emerald in 3 weeks so I have to transfer my care at 37 weeks and Warragul is my only option. I've spoken to them and they haven't said I'm out of the catchment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Casey Hospital don't do private rooms. I've been doing research and this was one thing that put me off as I'll be going public as a private patient. Well at least I was up here at Ballarat Base.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You should also be zoned to dandenong/monash. Monash will take you if you are higher risk.

Have you investigated seeing a private ob who admits to angliss.

As pp said warragul also is an option for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    If the birth goes wrong and there are complications you could end up with a bill tens of thousands of dollars. I was in hospital for two weeks including in intensive care unit when I had DD despite a problem free pregnancy. Wouldn't have wanted to pay the bill for that!
    Yea after having a read of the comments posted in here, it got me thinking that if we decided to go ahead with a Private hospital it definitely isn’t worth the risk of not taking out obstetrics cover...you can just never know what will happen when it comes to labour! Not worth the risk I think

6. The Following User Says Thank You to missmizchelle For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missmizchelle View Post
    great advice, I just emailed them. Thanks! What did you personally end up deciding after weighing it all up Redcorset?
    I ended up working out the problem with my health insurance company and they covered me for obstetrics so I went private. I was already pregnant when I found out the new cover I had switched to didn't include obstetrics even though I requested the same level of cover before I switched (I'd previously had 8 years of obstetrics cover)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had babies at both warragul and Dandenong and loved them both, both hospitals have single rooms. I was lucky enough to get a private room each time and husband's can stay with you at warragul hospital if you end up in a private room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmi View Post
    Casey Hospital don't do private rooms.
    They do, it just depends how busy the unit is when you are there. I have had two births there and had a private room both times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missmizchelle View Post
    I’m more than happy to go public but I just really, REALLY don't want to go to Casey Hospital and it seems it would be my only option if we were to go public as the area we will be living in will fall in that catchment
    Why don't you want to go to Casey?

This is probably not going to be what you are interested in hearing, but another spin on things for you.. I have had one baby at Dandenong (planned for Casey but developed a complication and had to transfer to Dandenong. Casey Maternity unit more able now, and if that complication arose now I wouldn't be transferred), two at Casey and one recently at home through Caseys homebirth program. I know you say you really don't want to go there, but we have had such wonderful experiences through Casey. We even had the same awesome MW care for us through three of our pregnancies and births (including our homebirth). Continuity of care was fantastic. For the two births I had in Casey, for both of my hospital stays I was in a room by myself, and I am not a private patient, nor did I have complicated births.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw all my bills in full when I was a private patient in a public hospital (because it was my responsibility to forward to Medicare and PHI to have them paid), mine were over $10k and my daughter's were near to $250k. Obviously for my DD's case you'd be need to be in a public hospital and you'd be covered that way, but if you birthed initially at a private it'd still be the > $10k fee for you.