+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Having a baby and being admitted as a private patient without obstetrics cover?

The time has come for us to start thinking about having a second baby!

We had our daughter in a public hospital (Angliss in Melbourne) we were so happy with the service we received there but we will be moving so unfortunately we fall out of the catchment area for this hospital. We will be moving temporarily to Narre Warren and then on to Officer once we build our house and I believe the only public hospital that covers these areas are Casey Hospital which I’m really not too keen on. The other hospital I was thinking about is a private hospital, St John of God in Berwick....have heard wonderful things about their maternity services.

We do have private health insurance but we are not covered for pregnancy/obstetrics. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with being admitted into a private hospital as a private patient with general cover but not covered by obstetrics?

If so, can anyone explain how this worked for them and the costs involved in a bit more detail?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know a lot but at our local hospital it's apparently $15 k for a Caesar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    WOW!!! That's a lot of money.....and of course if you took out obstetrics cover with our this would all be covered for right amyd?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I considered doing this at one point so I contacted the private hospital who sent me out a letter detailing their fees. I also got the fees for my obstetrician to weigh it up. Once you have that info I would contact your health provider and ask them what, if anything, you will be covered for.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

missmizchelle  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    don't forget if bubs needs special care unit it can be $1000 per day.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

missmizchelle  (24-11-2014),Mod-Degrassi  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    great advice, I just emailed them. Thanks! What did you personally end up deciding after weighing it all up Redcorset?

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh! Deifinitley something to consider! See these are things I didn't even think about!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Why don't you just upgrade your private health insurance if you want the private experience? You can always downgrade it after bub is born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why don't you just upgrade your private health insurance if you want the private experience? You can always downgrade it after bub is born.
    Yes this is true, we might have to...but was wondering what the difference in costs would be. To be honest it's not really about having a private hospital experience...I’m more than happy to go public but I just really, REALLY don't want to go to Casey Hospital and it seems it would be my only option if we were to go public as the area we will be living in will fall in that catchment

We won't start trying for another bub till early 2015 so thought it might be best to start looking at our options now as if we do need to take out private cover...it would have be soon!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to missmizchelle For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If the birth goes wrong and there are complications you could end up with a bill tens of thousands of dollars. I was in hospital for two weeks including in intensive care unit when I had DD despite a problem free pregnancy. Wouldn't have wanted to pay the bill for that!