+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just think it's an incredibly sad story all round.

I can't even fathom the thinking behind leaving a newborn in a drain. Wether she felt she had no other choice and put the baby somewhere she hoped he would be found or someone forced her to do it, I don't know. I'm glad the baby was found though and hope that he makes a full recovery.

I think people jump straight to mental illness, because they want to believe there is a reason for this, that there is something to blame for this behavior.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

onionskin  (24-11-2014),SuperGranny  (24-11-2014),TheGooch  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I know this is going to cause discomfort, but why do we always fall to mental health issues every time a woman is involved in hurting her child? She may well have PND but she also may not as well. We don't know why she did it yet. She threw her son 2.5 metres after squeezing him though a hole so he would never be found and would die.

I'm really struggling to feel empathy for her. Had she left him at the hospital or dumped him at a public place I would have.
    I agree with this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    or someone forced her to do it,
    Valid point, and this has crossed my mind. Maybe she was forced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This actually made me think of Keli Lane

I always wondered how baby Tegan could have disappeared in the short time from when she left hospital to when Keli attended the wedding. No-one knew Keli was pregnant, so no-one realised the baby was missing.

But then after reading this story, I realised that if the man hadn't heard the baby it may have had a similar outcome - no-one may have known the mother was pregnant (if she had covered it up) and so no-one would have ever known a baby was missing.

So incredibly lucky that the man heard the baby crying.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

vue  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    I just think it's an incredibly sad story all round.

I can't even fathom the thinking behind leaving a newborn in a drain. Wether she felt she had no other choice and put the baby somewhere she hoped he would be found or someone forced her to do it, I don't know. I'm glad the baby was found though and hope that he makes a full recovery.

I think people jump straight to mental illness, because they want to believe there is a reason for this, that there is something to blame for this behavior.
    I agree. I am just extremely sad. I can't imagine a woman can do this without some type of MI at play, but realistically she may not have one.

It just makes me wonder what happened to this woman to come to a place that you commit such a cold act. If there really is no MI there. Surely something is broken...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've got no empathy either, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to find excuses for her. There is NO excuse for attempting to kill your baby.
    As for the Mental Illness thing.... of course she is mentally ill? Anybody capable of such an atrocity is not all there in the mind. Fact. It's not an excuse... more like a reason. Doesn't change the fact that she's a monster, and what she's done is unforgiveable.
    If friends and family didn't know she was pregnant, I guess that is possible, though I would think most women who were hiding pregnancy woudln't go to the hospital to give birth. And even IF no friends and family knew, the hospital staff did. Did she manage to hide her inner crazy so well that NOBODY noticed she was a threat to herself and her baby?
    It's just scary to me that nobody spoke out for this little guy until he'd been in a drain for 5 days.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

misho  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    . Obviously there were no concerns for her or babys wellbeing she either hid her issues really well or there were no issues at that point.
    I dont think putting blame on the hospital is right at all. They didnt make the decision to dump baby. His mother did.
    You can't free the hospital from all blame yet... Well not until the facts come out.

Maybe the hospital staff just didn't pay enough attention? Maybe they didn't even ask how the mother was doing? With my first I received all the help in the world (private). With my second (public) I received no help breastfeeding and was pretty much left alone after the first night even though I needed help. Then shoved out after a couple of nights even though feeding was horrid. I am lucky I had a good husband, friends and the support of BH'ers. If a woman doesn't have any help I can see how things go pear shaped.

Either way the trend to push mums out after 24 hours (before milk has even come in) is a recipe for disaster.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (24-11-2014),SuperGranny  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

I just wonder if this was a man that threw him down there, what our responses would be? Going on past experience it would be much more scathing.
    Yup. A man that throws his kids off a bridge is an abusive @rsehole, where a woman that kills her baby is a poor thing suffering from some depressive illness.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

delirium  (24-11-2014),Gracie's Mum  (24-11-2014),HearMeRoar  (24-11-2014),heplusme  (24-11-2014),misho  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    You can't free the hospital from all blame yet... Well not until the facts come out.

Maybe the hospital staff just didn't pay enough attention? Maybe they didn't even ask how the mother was doing? With my first I received all the help in the world (private). With my second (public) I received no help breastfeeding and was pretty much left alone after the first night even though I needed help. Then shoved out after a couple of nights even though feeding was horrid. I am lucky I had a good husband, friends and the support of BH'ers. If a woman doesn't have any help I can see how things go pear shaped.

Either way the trend to push mums out after 24 hours (before milk has even come in) is a recipe for disaster.
    Well said VP I am thinking the same thing, she may not have had a village but surely the nurses should have seen something wasn't right.

The whole thing is just awful. I really do hope the little one is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Did she manage to hide her inner crazy so well that NOBODY noticed she was a threat to herself and her baby?
    There has been a few cases like that sadly. The french mum I was talking about earlier was a doted mum to her two kids and yet killed three other babies.
    Husband and friends didn't notice the pregnancies nor the craziness. She is in jail now.