+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Unfortunately the article does not surprise me. The article sounds a bit 'unsure' about the 5 year old kid in NZ though. I'm surprised this was written unless the journalist was sure. It's rather inflammatory if it is not true (eg if it is true I would unleash new criticism on the mother).
    I'm pretty sure I read in the article that she wrote a Facebook post wishing her 4yr old son happy birthday last year.
    In their culture it's pretty common for children to live with other family members.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read in the article that she wrote a Facebook post wishing her 4yr old son happy birthday last year.
    In their culture it's pretty common for children to live with other family members.
    I'm going to get up on my high horse and say if that's the case it's a $hit culture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I'm going to get up on my high horse and say if that's the case it's a $hit culture.
    VP I know of a young girl adopted here in Australia from NZ by her extended family basically to help out around the house, in return she gets an education while her mother and siblings remain overseas.
    It's sad because hearing the things she does around the house, its like she's a slave :-(

I also know of a young boy here, he's also receiving an Australian eduction and seems quite happy.

I assume it's more common to adopt from the islands to OZ for a better education, rather than this situation.

This woman lived with Aunty, didn't she??
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 29-11-2014 at 15:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know much about Samoan culture but Samoan Community leaders have suggested that it may be a cultural issue about bringing shame on their family.

"Samoan leaders in New Zealand are calling on their community to show compassion towards a woman who left her baby in a Sydney drain to die.

Community leaders say that often Samoan women who are unmarried and pregnant fear shaming their families."

https://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/sam...babies-6175882

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post

Surprised noone has mentioned the baby found on the Sydney beach.....
    I was just looking for a thread. It seems this kind of thing isn't as unusual as we all like to think

Thanks
    Reviews
    The information contained in that article is false and was written in an attempt to gain sympathy from the public.

Blaming culture is such a lame excuse. We lived in an area populated with a lot of Pacific Islanders and yes, a lot were very religious but there were also unplanned pregnancies where the child was taken on, not dumped in a drain.

This woman concealed her pregnancy. She's living with three people in a small apartment and even they didn't know. She has it and hours later is out of the hospital and dumps the baby boy.

I'm sorry but there is no way she was protecting her family when she did this. She knew what she was doing.

I hope she gets life and the baby is adopted into a family who will love him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Tickle For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (10-12-2014)