+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I was going to say Azariah was female didn't know it was unisex. Not sure how I feel about the mother naming him, I have mixed feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just watching the news again about it and I thought 5 days is a miracle that he survived .....but also long enough for her to change her mind and save him ........it's just so heart breaking.....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sky1 View Post
    I'm not sure, but I'm assuming they're so detached from the baby that they've removed all emotion from the situation and see it as a problem that they are trying to solve.

A couple of years ago, two academics published a paper stating that newborns are not people and that infanticide should be legal, so I guess if there are academics who have this viewpoint then it's quite possible for a woman who has an unwanted baby to share this viewpoint.

I was quite shocked by the paper and obviously don't agree with it, but I just thought I'd share it because it provides a (very confronting) insight into how some people -who I don't believe in this case are mentally ill - view newborns.
    Actually, if I recall correctly, I don't think they really were arguing (or were intending to argue) that a newborn should be able to be killed. Rather, this was a very clever pro-life article, that was actually meant to be a case against abortion (esp late term abortion) by arguing that killing an infant was the same as an abortion. It was designed to get people to see that they would never agree to the conclusion put forward in the article, so why don't they consider abortion to be similarly immoral?

I remember it pretty well because it was very controversial at the time. I am very pro-choice so it is very against my own opinions.
    Last edited by hollypolly; 26-11-2014 at 05:35.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hollypolly For This Useful Post:

sky1  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleflowers View Post
    I thought that they baby was a boy.....Azaria was a girl....

Azariah is a Hebrew boys name

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Azariah is a Hebrew boys name
    Really I didn't know that ...you learn something new every day ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My hope is the child finds a wonderful family who will love him unconditionally and he recovers from this fully.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (25-11-2014),HeavenBlue  (25-11-2014),Jodes35  (25-11-2014),Lauzy  (25-11-2014),mrsboyts  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I feel so traumatised by this story, so many women trying so hard to have a baby or adopt and this one was just thrown away.

Here's the thing about mental illness: people with a mental illness are far more likely to be victims of crime than perpetrators. In some cases, psychosis can lead to violent acts but it's not nearly as common as you'd think.

What's dangerous is that every time something really heinous happens - like this story or like when Drummer Lee Rigby was beheaded in London, we find it so hard to comprehend that we assume there must have been mental illness at play.

This further entrenches the stigma around mental illness and is a really big factor in why people often don't seek help for mental illness, because they'll be seen as potential monsters.

We don't know yet whether psychosis or PND was a factor in this case. It's good to raise awareness about the need for better PND support services but equally it's possible that the act was just criminal.

Unfortunately, humans are capable of despicable things. The risk is that by jumping to a conclusion either way risks demonising women who do experience PND or post-natal psychosis.

That's my two cents.

Poor little baby. I'm so glad he was found. I hope we will get updates about him and about baby Gammy as they grow up, and live their lives.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Mokeybear  (25-11-2014),Redcorset  (25-11-2014),SuperGranny  (26-11-2014),VicPark  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellewood View Post
    im im allowed to defend myself. So you are allowed to personally insult me and I'm not allowed to defend myself?? By the way, I've been busy and only got back to but hub this afternoon, I'm not reigniting it!

Ok so now I'm immature. It's not the first time you've personally attacked me delirium so maybe I'm just fed up with the constant picking by you and your mates. This forum is just awful. I'm just in shock at how mean it can be. I'm leaving. Hope you're all happy.
    Don't go... !

Surely you can recognise that using the word vile in the context you did, (to describe, not a woman who left a baby down the drain to die, but rather people who were speaking out against her actions) especially on a pregnancy/baby forum would get some heated responses? It doesn't mean people thought you didn't have a right to say it, or they couldn't see where you were coming from. Heck I'm sure you made people think about things a bit more (I know I thought about the media coverage a bit). It doesn't mean people were attacking you, just your description. It's more a sign of their horror at the baby being dumped down a drain rather than them disliking/attacking you. So hang around and I'm sure I will agree with you on another topic... Are you a SOS supporter by any chance?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (25-11-2014),HeavenBlue  (25-11-2014),Mokeybear  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *trigger warning* baby found down drain

I feel for the mother. I feel she had to put her child in that position. Maybe she comes from a horrible background. Maybe she's mentally impaired . Maybe the child was from sexual assault. We don't know anything. It could be from an affair and she's religious (now I'm going really broad BUT we never know!) this child should have been put somewhere same yes. The media should keep out of these stories because this child has to live with it growing up. Especially if he gets a loving family who adopts/fosters him.

I hope this mum receives the he'll she obviously needs. As does the baby.
    Last edited by monnie24; 25-11-2014 at 19:52.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

RipperRita  (26-11-2014),sky1  (25-11-2014),zooey  (26-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I don't like to use retarded but I don't know what else to use).
    Mentally impaired would work better. I really despise the use of retarded for a person.