+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hollypolly View Post
    How can they not see the baby as human and not be somewhat mentally ill?
    I'm not sure, but I'm assuming they're so detached from the baby that they've removed all emotion from the situation and see it as a problem that they are trying to solve.

A couple of years ago, two academics published a paper stating that newborns are not people and that infanticide should be legal, so I guess if there are academics who have this viewpoint then it's quite possible for a woman who has an unwanted baby to share this viewpoint.

Giubilini and Minerva’s argument is stunningly simple. There is no morally relevant difference between a foetus and a newborn baby, because their capacities are relevantly similar. Neither foetus nor newborn is really capable of forming any long-term aims. Only a person can form long-term aims that are capable of being quashed – and this is what differentiates us from other species – so neither a foetus nor a newborn are persons.

The kind of harm that consists of preventing a person from achieving their future aims is especially acute. And since neither a foetus nor a newborn are persons, they cannot be harmed in this way. Therefore, if we allow abortion on that basis, we should allow infanticide.

http://theconversation.com/theres-no...fanticide-5672
    I was quite shocked by the paper and obviously don't agree with it, but I just thought I'd share it because it provides a (very confronting) insight into how some people -who I don't believe in this case are mentally ill - view newborns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    The fine in qld is actually $4.50, according to the website...
    Whoops, sorry, I should have specified that the $1408 fine is for Victoria only:
    http://www.lawreform.vic.gov.au/cont...h-registration

Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    It's the parent's responsibility to register the birth, not the hospital. The midwives definitely do not have an individual responsibility to notify anyone.
    ...and I should have also mentioned that I was referring to Victoria here as well (and notification, not registration):
    The Act requires that a responsible person must give notice of any live birth to the Registrar within 21 days of the birth.

The responsible person is:
    - the chief executive officer of the hospital (where a child is born in a hospital or brought to hospital within 24 hours after birth)
    - a doctor or midwife responsible for the care of the mother
    - where no medical practitioner was present, any other person in attendance at the birth.

http://www.lawreform.vic.gov.au/cont...h-notification
    Last edited by sky1; 25-11-2014 at 10:20.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sky1 View Post
    Sorry, I should have specified that the $1408 fine is for Victoria:
    http://www.lawreform.vic.gov.au/cont...h-registration
    I just did some googling and found that, sorry I was confused as a friend of mine recently forgot to register her childs birth and the fine wasnt much

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

sky1  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    She hid her pregnancy from those she knew and "disposed" of the baby in a way that she knew would kill him, meaning no one would ever know about him. It appears she wanted him dead and gone from the get go.

It angers me that she gets the privilege to name him. Why?!

The whole case just infuriates me and I feel so awful for the poor boy.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyblu11 For This Useful Post:

kim85  (25-11-2014),RuffledPansy  (25-11-2014),ScubaGal  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblu11 View Post
    She hid her pregnancy from those she knew and "disposed" of the baby in a way that she knew would kill him, meaning no one would ever know about him. It appears she wanted him dead and gone from the get go.

It angers me that she gets the privilege to name him. Why?!

The whole case just infuriates me and I feel so awful for the poor boy.
    If she didn't name him, a FACS worker would. As this bub grows up and tries to make sense of his story, it might be a small comfort that his birth mother named him. His name may be the only thing he ever gets from her.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Whirligig For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (25-11-2014),onionskin  (29-11-2014),TheGooch  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That the woman who gave birth to this baby (sorry, but the word "mother" means so much more to me and this word does not apply to her) is allowed to name the child smacks of intervention by child services. They are VERY bio family reunification centred and this kind of thing happens a lot around Court proceedings and often to the child's detriment.

To be honest, I'm not so concerned about the naming issue. If the child is a ward of the state it means the woman who gave birth to the baby no longer has any parental rights over him which includes legal naming rights. This doesn't mean that immediate family members will get custody either. I hope that they don't. And should the baby be placed with a loving family, they can eventually apply to have his name changed so, really, it's a bit of tokenism to allow that woman to name the child she gave birth to. I honestly wonder why she would bother. The coward wouldn't even get out of her cell to face court.

It's early days yet. The charges may be dropped. I hope they aren't. I hope they stand and I hope this woman is jailed. Too many crimes are passed over because the perpetrator is "mentally ill".

I was talking to a friend of mine who resides in NSW and knows that area as her husband is a keen cyclist. She tells me that the very fact the child was heard let alone found is a pure miracle.

I also pray for another miracle: that the Court does its job and upholds justice for that poor child.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Tickle For This Useful Post:

RuffledPansy  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    That the woman who gave birth to this baby (sorry, but the word "mother" means so much more to me and this word does not apply to her) is allowed to name the child smacks of intervention by child services. They are VERY bio family reunification centred and this kind of thing happens a lot around Court proceedings and often to the child's detriment.

To be honest, I'm not so concerned about the naming issue. If the child is a ward of the state it means the woman who gave birth to the baby no longer has any parental rights over him which includes legal naming rights. This doesn't mean that immediate family members will get custody either. I hope that they don't. And should the baby be placed with a loving family, they can eventually apply to have his name changed so, really, it's a bit of tokenism to allow that woman to name the child she gave birth to. I honestly wonder why she would bother. The coward wouldn't even get out of her cell to face court.

It's early days yet. The charges may be dropped. I hope they aren't. I hope they stand and I hope this woman is jailed. Too many crimes are passed over because the perpetrator is "mentally ill".

I was talking to a friend of mine who resides in NSW and knows that area as her husband is a keen cyclist. She tells me that the very fact the child was heard let alone found is a pure miracle.

I also pray for another miracle: that the Court does its job and upholds justice for that poor child.
    I don't disagree with you, and I'm not trying to stereotype, but most Samoan people I know are very Christian.

Obviously what this woman did is not Christian at all, but I would hazard a guess to say that her family would indeed want the child and would try to raise it with their culture in mind.

This to me screams of her being actively involved in her community, having a child out of wedlock/ not being with the father, and then she didn't know what to do for fear of what her family would think. She couldn't abort coz she doesn't believe in abortion but for some f'd up reason thought she'd just kill the child instead.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Whirligig  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by purpleflowers View Post
    I wonder how this little man will feel when he is an adult knowing that his Mother tried to kill him and than was given the privilege to name him....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I was thinking exactly this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    I don't disagree with you, and I'm not trying to stereotype, but most Samoan people I know are very Christian.

Obviously what this woman did is not Christian at all, but I would hazard a guess to say that her family would indeed want the child and would try to raise it with their culture in mind.
    One article mentioned that her parents are heavily involved in church missions, whatever that means.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ??? I'm sorry but apart from wondering what being Samoan or Christian has to do with anything, I find this statement outrageous on many levels.

Some of the most fkd up, wicked people I've met in this life have been of religion, have espoused the community life and have ticked all the right boxes. This is why stereotyping is dangerous: because it's a bright, shining LIE.

There is no excuse in the book that could dismiss what this woman has done.

Whirligig, I just saw your post. I'm not so sure about the comfort aspect but certainly from an identity point of view, it would serve in the child's interests to have a name that was related to him as opposed to something he would later have to research.

Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post

This to me screams of her being actively involved in her community, having a child out of wedlock/ not being with the father, and then she didn't know what to do for fear of what her family would think. She couldn't abort coz she doesn't believe in abortion but for some f'd up reason thought she'd just kill the child instead.