+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm starting to think that maybe the mother in this case was in denial about the pregnancy. This SA health document states that denial/concealment of pregnancy leads to a much greater risk of infanticide.

Infanticide
    • Denial is a substantial risk factor for abandonment and infanticide
    • An Australian study investigating 32 maternal filicide cases found all three killings of newborn infants (within first 24 hours of life) to be characterised by total denial of pregnancy and birth rather than a motivation to kill the infant
    • The more serious the state of denial, the more at risk the fetus is of neonaticide
    • Women in severe denial are often in a state of shock and emotional dissociation at the time of delivery.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Also if the cyclists hadn't found the baby, if no one had found it, would the system know that a child had disappeared/die?
    I was wondering how this happens?

It's terrifying to think that you can be born and disappear in the same week without anyone noticing or raising the alarm.
    Yes, I agree. This article mentions 8 newborn babies that were found (deceased) in various places in Australia in a 3-year period. It goes on to say that only 2 of the mothers were found. These babies were left in fairly public places (a bus stop, a driveway, a hospitality school toilet etc) so it makes me wonder about the ones who are never discovered.

I also just wanted to add that I can't help but feel for the mother. The thought of the baby all alone down there makes me incredibly sad, but I do also feel for the mother.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sky1 For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is there no reconciliation. Like how many births compared to birth certificates issued or babies registered etc? Do we keep count or do we just loose baby of mother x?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (24-11-2014),ScubaGal  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *trigger warning* baby found down drain

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I know this is going to cause discomfort, but why do we always fall to mental health issues every time a woman is involved in hurting her child? She may well have PND but she also may not as well. We don't know why she did it yet. She threw her son 2.5 metres after squeezing him though a hole so he would never be found and would die.

I'm really struggling to feel empathy for her. Had she left him at the hospital or dumped him at a public place I would have.
    My theory on this is people who commit awful crimes are generally not mentally well "normal" people don't throw babies in drains but I get where you are Coming from its a reason not an excuse

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I feel incredible despair for this little bub who was dropping from a height into a drain and left to die by his 'mother', what a horrific fate she was attempting to mete out to this defenceless newborn baby. It's a miracle he has survived, I hope he will be ok, I hope he is warm, his little belly full and somebody is cuddling him 24/7.

No sympathy for her at all - zero. She could have left him in a safe place to be found, left him at the hospital etc etc but she tried to murder him, horribly. I would show her the same mercy she showed him - none.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (25-11-2014),Happymum2  (25-11-2014),Jodes35  (25-11-2014),LlamaMa  (25-11-2014),misho  (24-11-2014),MissMuppet  (25-11-2014),olismumma  (25-11-2014),Sonja  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-...-1227132456229

Police will allege his mother left Blacktown Hospital on Tuesday afternoon, November 18, after giving birth at 1am that morning.

She allegedly caught a bus and train to the stormwater drain, where she dumped the newborn. He was about 17 hours old when he was forced inside a small opening with a 200kg concrete lid covering the drain.

The Daily Telegraph understands the woman broke up with a boyfriend in the early stages of her pregnancy this year and hid it from him, as well as from her family. It is possible he never realised he was to become a father.

“It’s shocking. We had no idea, she seemed fine. I just thought she had put on a bit of weight,” a close family member said.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just read that bit and went WTH?! Given the circumstances it feels so wrong 😞

"Despite the charge, the Samoan woman has been given the privilege of naming him - and has chosen a biblical name.

For legal reasons the Daily Telegraph cannot reveal it, but it is associated with one of the most infamous child death cases in Australian history."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Daniel??? As in Daniel Morcombe???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    You'd be surprised at the amount of people who don't registered the birth due to forgetfulness or laziness.
    This. It is incredibly common, a lot of people dont notice until they actually need a birth certificate for something and they then register the birth, sometimes years later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    You'd be surprised at the amount of people who don't registered the birth due to forgetfulness or laziness.
    what about hospitals? don't they have some kind of register of the babies born and name of parents etc?
    (genuine question)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    what about hospitals? don't they have some kind of register of the babies born and name of parents etc?
    (genuine question)
    Not everyone births at a hospital though and they make it quite difficult for those who have home births to prove the child is theirs. The process took my friend months and months, she had to produce photos, witnesses, etc.. I imagine some people wouldn't have any of that. Some people also don't want to register the births.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (25-11-2014)