+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know the hospital and I know the area where the baby was found. That hospital looks after women with a huge range of cultural and social issues. It would not be uncommon for women to leave there alone or by public transport, or go home to less than ideal environments.

Every time I see something about this story I feel like I want to vomit. I'm so glad the baby is alive, but who knows what impact this mothers actions will have on him. I don't know her story but I struggle to feel sympathy for her. What a horrible thing to do to a tiny little person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I don't want to see this immediately labelled as a mental health issue when we have no official information pointing in that direction. It just perpetuates the stereotype that mentally ill people are dangerous and abusive when the truth is that most are neither of those things.
    Great point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no empathy for the monster who put her baby down a hole to die. None whatsoever. SHE is to blame for what happened to this baby, not the hospital, or midwives, or anybody else. I only wish that somebody, anybody, had forseen that this poor baby didn't stand a chance at survival with his "mother". Not blaming anyone, just wishing and wondering how she blindsided everyone.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Jodes35  (24-11-2014),misho  (24-11-2014),ozeymumof5  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    There's some photos here of the drain that will show people who are wondering how she got him in and how far he fell. There was a gap plenty big enough for baby to be dropped in, but not big enough for an adult to go through to climb down and get him, hence why they needed to lift off the concrete cover.
    http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...western-sydney
    That makes me even more ****ed off that drain could have been filled with water...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's hard to know what to make of this story. I've heard different variations in the news, one: he was almost a week old, two: he was only 2 days old. It just goes to show you can't believe everything in the news.

In relation to the mother we have no idea what was going on in her life that lead her to make this decision. Maybe she does have a mental illness, but maybe not. Perhaps she has a history with DOCS and she didn't want another baby, maybe not. Perhaps something terrible happened to her that lead to the pregnancy and she was frightened and saw the drain as a way out, maybe not. My point is all of this is simply speculation. Regardless of what was going on in her life, what she did is a horrible thing and we have to trust that the justice system will do what's right.

There should be no blame on the hospital/midwives. There is no way possible that you can know everything about someone when they come in to birth. You only know as much as they tell you, and people lie. People lie all the time. They omit the truth because they don't want people to know. If she wasn't booked at the hospital, they wouldn't know anything about her history, the FOB etc. When attending to home visits, you rely on women giving you the correct address, correct phone number and being home at the time of the visit. If I turn up at someone's house and they're not there I don't wait around to see if they come back or try and come back later that day. I ring their provided phone number and leave a note in their letterbox. I don't have time to be chasing people. I spend a maximum of 10mins knocking at the door/ringing phones and then it's too bad. We do go back the next day, but again if the same thing happens that's it for us. We send them a letter and tell them to see their GP for follow up.

So many women in the public system have multiple social issues and it's not up to us to solve their problems. All we can do is ensure the correct social supports are in place to help them and we can only do that if we know about them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by [Mod] Degrassi View Post
    The hospital is not responsible or accountable for this woman leaving with her baby and deciding she wanted him to die alone in a drain. This sad excuse for a mother is.

She has admitted in court today that by putting him down the drain, he could die. But she still did it.

Until I hear more about this woman and her situation and why she may have resorted to something so hideous, I can only extend sympathy to her helpless baby boy.
    Completely agree. This isn't the midwives or the hospital's fault. They are chronically over extended with beds and are doing the best they can. If she was mentally ill, she may well have lied she was ok. She may have discharged herself.

People need to fight for better funding for their hospitals and vote for socially just parties. Not vote economically rationalist govts in then complain the public services suck and blame the staff trying to deal with the crap conditions and resources.

And what happened to self responsibility??? When did it happen that we just turn to everything and everyone else to blame? Short of psychosis, which from reading she doesn't have, she CHOSE to put the baby there. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve support, counselling and services. She absolutely does. But come on. There are mentally unwell women who don't do this.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (24-11-2014),ExcuseMyFrench  (24-11-2014),MissXamA  (26-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I caught the bus home from hospy and I wasn't the only new mum waiting for a bus.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Yep that was my plan too as all my friends were working. Hospital insisted I use the patient transporter or a taxi.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is one of those things that doesn't quite add up in my head, so I'm withholding judgement against the mother until I get more information.
    I am very glad the baby was found safe and we'll.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I must be the Wicked Witch of the West cause im over here judging my heart out.

Mental illness does not justify murdering anybody, let alone a defenseless being.

The hospital and midwives have nothing to do with this disgusting womens actions.

Details dont excuse someone from anything. Its making me ill reading so many people stick up for her. Its like hearing about a gang rape and waiting to hear whether she was wearing a short skirt to see if it was justified. Wth.

Details mean nothing in an act like this. I hope she rots away in prison.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

azelqra  (24-11-2014),CompareTheMeerkat  (24-11-2014),GlitterFarts  (24-11-2014),Jodes35  (24-11-2014),KitiK  (24-11-2014),misho  (24-11-2014),olismumma  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm appalled at the way the media have handled this story. Imo, it should not even be on the news. It's an awful situation but peoples reactions and attacks are just as vile!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (24-11-2014)