+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *trigger warning* baby found down drain

I'm finding it hard to believe there hasn't been a thread started about this already. Am I missing it somewhere? If so, could you please point me in the right direction? If not, then I guess this is it.
    It's all overfacebook this story, some of the comments are interesting. When I first heard the story I went through a range of emotions.
    It's come out this mornng that the mother has been found and charged with murder, and that he was dumped in the drain at 1 day old and had been there for 4 days or there abouts.
    The baby was wrapped in a hospital blanket and his cord had been cut and clamped, so she'd obviously given birth to him in hospital. What on earth possessed the hospital to discharge her in under 24 hours? Surely it must have been clear tha she was not coping or not "normal". Where were her friends and family? Why did nobody notice the baby missing for days?
    The whole thing is so weird. I'm just so glad the poor little man was found and will hopefully be ok. As for mum, well there's something very seriously wrong with her for certain, so I do hope that she's ok, but yeah. I hope she never gets her hands on this little guy again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's a horrible situation all round. PND, post partum psychosis, etc. are all horrible conditions.. But I struggle to have empathy for someone who puts their baby in a drain. Surely anywhere is better than there?

i think this is an indication that safe haven laws should be introduced in Australia.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm hormonal and pg and cannot fathom how anyone could do this. He was down there 5 days. Leave him at the hospital, dump him on someone's doorstep. If you don't want him don't keep him but don't throw him down a drain to die. I would give further thoughts but it would probably be censored.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (24-11-2014),Chippa  (24-11-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-11-2014),ScubaGal  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read this morning the charge is attempted murder and the baby is still alive.

I find it amazing that the baby could survive the apparent 4-5 days it was in the drain??

I know someone who does this sort of thing is mentally ill.. But I just can't fathom how they could not leave the baby on a hospital doorstep or similar.. Throwing it down a drain is just mind boggling...

Also, 24 hour discharge is the norm at the public hospital here after a normal vaginal birth, irrespective of age or if you're a first time mum. I think it's a horrible policy and whilst some women may choose that time frame it's certainly not the right time frame for everyone.

And surely there would have been a follow up midwife home visit for being discharged that quickly? Did she give a false address or did the reporting midwife just not show??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Is the mum very young?

This is a very sad story. It reminds me of something I read. The day of your birth is the day you have the highest chance of getting murdered. By your mum. 😔

I'm not surprised that family and friends didn't raise the alarm. Surely if you come to throw your baby in the drain it must mean that you have a very very poor support network if none at all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    I'm finding it hard to believe there hasn't been a thread started about this already. Am I missing it somewhere? If so, could you please point me in the right direction? If not, then I guess this is it.
    It's all overfacebook this story, some of the comments are interesting. When I first heard the story I went through a range of emotions.
    It's come out this mornng that the mother has been found and charged with murder, and that he was dumped in the drain at 1 day old and had been there for 4 days or there abouts.
    The baby was wrapped in a hospital blanket and his cord had been cut and clamped, so she'd obviously given birth to him in hospital. What on earth possessed the hospital to discharge her in under 24 hours? Surely it must have been clear tha she was not coping or not "normal". Where were her friends and family? Why did nobody notice the baby missing for days?
    The whole thing is so weird. I'm just so glad the poor little man was found and will hopefully be ok. As for mum, well there's something very seriously wrong with her for certain, so I do hope that she's ok, but yeah. I hope she never gets her hands on this little guy again.
    I was discharged 6 hours after giving birth. If it were Blacktown Hospital thats standard for them. Ive seen so many times on BH about how the hours after giving birth mums are on some kind of euphoric high, all happy etc. Obviously there were no concerns for her or babys wellbeing she either hid her issues really well or there were no issues at that point.
    I dont think putting blame on the hospital is right at all. They didnt make the decision to dump baby. His mother did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I thought the baby was alive? How has the other been charged with murder?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone who is not prepared/able to care for a baby is able to voluntarily place the child in foster care until they are able to cope, get well, get support etc and can end the care at any time. If a child was to be left at a safe haven it would be placed into care so apart from the anonymity of safe havens what is the difference. Just ask for help, that's all she needed to do. The calculated manner in which this mother disposed of her baby deserves an attempted murder charge. I hope she gets help if that's what she needs but I also hope this child is never restored to her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    And surely there would have been a follow up midwife home visit for being discharged that quickly? Did she give a false address or did the reporting midwife just not show??
    Very good point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For some mums, the baby is just a part of themselves. Like their arm.
    So they don't see it as murder to dispose of the baby, they just get ride of an inconvenience.

That's what a psychiatrist explain after the case of a French mum that had two kids and was a good mum to them but was found guilty of murders against 3 other babies.

Not saying this applies here, but obviously this mum needed help too.