+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my first bubs 4 weeks ago today.
    I didnt do the classes and dont regret it one bit. I spent alot of time on BubHub reading threads about other peoples babies and their sleeping or lack thereof, feeding etc etc, labor stories so on and so forth and i have to say i think my partner and i have done really well. I also have my mum who is good for advice when i really need it.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaCat For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you sooooo much everyone for your replies and for sharing your stories. I want to reply to everyone but I'm sure I'll make a big mess of the topic!

I'm still on the fence but am now leaning against. It seems overall it can be helpful but the classes are nothing groundbreaking & you can survive without the classes. For me it would more be for the birthing part as opposed to post natal stuff.

I'll be in priv hosp for a week after having the baby so I'll get some post natal help there. I too am the last in my social circle and family to have a baby so there's help there. My next door neighbour is a midwife specializing in post natal and my husband has 3 kids in their 20s so seeing someone give birth will be no shock to him and he was also a very hands on dad so he'll be a great help/teacher. I know a lot of things have changed in 20 years but I'm sure the fundamentals are the same :-)

I will definitely do the hospital tour which are offered for free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    I'm a FTM too, I haven't yet looked into classes but in finding I get a lot from reading books about birth and watching a lot of One Born Every Minute (UK version). That show certainly has me convinced about the benefits of active birth if you can but also about what happens if you need induction or an emergency c-section.
    I will look up this show :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    I had my first bubs 4 weeks ago today.
    I didnt do the classes and dont regret it one bit. I spent alot of time on BubHub reading threads about other peoples babies and their sleeping or lack thereof, feeding etc etc, labor stories so on and so forth and i have to say i think my partner and i have done really well. I also have my mum who is good for advice when i really need it.
    Congrats on the arrival of your little one :-))

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jast For This Useful Post:

MummaCat  (25-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't do them and I don't regret it. Had some struggles but I've put it down to being a ftm and just questioning my instincts.
    Midwives took us on a tour of the hospital and each visit they asked if we would like to look around again. Any questions we had they answered.

I didn't have a birthing plan. I wanted to wing it and think it helped me be more relaxed for it.

Go with your gut, if u think it will help u do it, if u think it will be the same things you've already learnt then give it a miss.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hasselhoff For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was a very informed FTM, I have worked in maternity wards, I read so many books on labour, birth, breastfeeding, I went to a private birthing class (calm birth), and yet I'd advise everyone to do the hospital classes.

That is when you'll get a chance to know and ask everything about the hospital policies. They change from one hospital to another.
    Once you know all about your hospital policies, you can decide which one you are happy with and which you'd like to avoid (if any).

Also it's a great chance to meet some midwives and talk with other FTparents.

It's only one class, it's free, so unless it's a real pain logistically to attend I can't see any good reason not to go 😉

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (24-11-2014),Jast  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had read a lot of information and felt very well-informed before my first baby, but I still found the classes beneficial. It gave me a lot of info about policies, etc. that were individual to my hospital. I birthed in a small local hospital, which has a VERY natural-active birth focus. So the info I was given about pain relief was helpful - for eg, that epidurals are administered by local anaesthatists that have to be called in, so they are not easy to come by - unless in an emergency situation (in which case there are back-up plans to have you in theater in 30 mins). If I were someone who was absolutely sure I wanted an epidural in my labour, I would have been armed with the information to choose a different hospital, where it is quicker and easier to get an epi. They talked about hospital policies on using gas an fentonyl for pain relief, too.
    They also informed me of 'standard practice' for the hospital - eg, delayed cord clamping, skin to skin after birth, rooming in, etc - are the norm.

They also demonstrated how active birth is encouraged with use of fit ball, water birth, labouring on the toilet, birthing bar, different positions, how your birth partner can help with massage, supporting your body as you lean on them, etc - not anything new to me, just good to see how I would be supported and encouraged in active birth in the hospital.

We also had a rep from the ABA come and talk about breastfeeding, and how/ where we could get support, and the hospital's LC - I was armed with info about how the hospital supports mums in BFing (Eg, that you can have free LC appt's in the hospital for the first 6 weeks after birth, use of the breast pump, coming back in to hospital for breastfeeding support) - that I wouldn't have been aware of otherwise.

So for me, I did find the antenatal appts helpful to give me heaps of info that was individual to my own hospital - I've also read heaps of birth stories, and it is obvious that different hospitals differ in their policies of how they support labouring women - it's good to be armed with info on what your hospital policies are.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I knew everything that was going to be discussed as I read a lot before hand. The main benefit I got was meeting an amazing group of mums

14. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    It's only one class, it's free, so unless it's a real pain logistically to attend I can't see any good reason not to go 😉
    Thanks for the info. I think a private birthing class might be more up my alley so I will look into this. Thank you. We only have one private hospital nearby & that's where our OB delivers so we don't really get to choose based on hosp policies. Our hosp charge $200 for antenatal classes & medibank don't reimburse. $200 isn't going to kill me but I definitely don't like giving money away either Ours would be 4 or 6 x weekly 2 hour night time classes or 2 x Saturday mornings. Time is precious too, organizing, renovating, working leading up to baby :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jast View Post
    Thanks for the info. I think a private birthing class might be more up my alley so I will look into this. Thank you. We only have one private hospital nearby & that's where our OB delivers so we don't really get to choose based on hosp policies. Our hosp charge $200 for antenatal classes & medibank don't reimburse. $200 isn't going to kill me but I definitely don't like giving money away either Ours would be 4 or 6 x weekly 2 hour night time classes or 2 x Saturday mornings. Time is precious too, organizing, renovating, working leading up to baby :-)
    I wasn't suggesting changing hospital based on their policies, more that if you are aware of them you can request to have things done differently (delayed clamping comes to mind, or regular vaginal check during labour, etc).

I wouldn't do the class for $200 that's for sure. I would try and find a private class, they are around the same price.

My private hospital antenatal classes were free (or rather included in the overall fee), it was 1 night each week (4x 3hrs) and we got delicious free food out of it too.
    No weird pictures/videos, just practical advices.

But it didn't take time away from anything else. It was quite a fun thing to do together with DH, I loved it 😊

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014)