+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Antenatal classes FTM to do or not

I'm a FTM and not sure whether I should do antenatal classes. I'd love to hear some experiences from mums who did and did not do them.

I don't like blood (I can stomach seeing my own) & can't watch medical shows so am not too keen to watch a birthing video. I've also heard 2nd hand through countless friends about giving birth & breastfeeding. I've also been doing stacks & stacks of reading about how it all works.

I've also never heard of any FTM who has actually followed their birthing plan.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :-))

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I never had the opportunity to do antenatal classes with my first, but had to then spend 102 days in hospital with her, and without the knowledge of the nurses and lactation consultants during that time would have been lost!

I would recommend doing them, the more education you can get and prepared you can be the better, even if things don't go to plan. Oh and just cover your eyes for any bloody bits you don't want to watch if you really can't stomach them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Antenatal classes FTM to do or not

I went and wished I didn't. Boring, photos of completely naked women giving birth all over the walls, the customary disgusting video. All entirely unnecessary - after all, when in labour I didn't have to look at myself from that angle. They said what pain relief options there are and the risks. We held dolls up to our boobs because that was meant to be some useless demonstration of breastfeeding. We filled in play sleep and feed times on a clock which basically was just to demonstrate that newborns need to be fed and changed every 2-3 hrs round the clock.

I was hoping for demonstrations on changing nappies, bathing, swaddling, and more info on breastfeeding than was provided - instead I got this info from midwives after baby was born.

Because I'm a big googler/researcher, the classes were not worth it for me. If you haven't done much research or prefer to discuss/ask questions then you may get something out of the classes.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eilonwy For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014),Little Miss Sunshine  (24-11-2014),Purple Lily  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd recommend doing them. We didn't watch a video or anything at ours. I'd done quite a lot of reading and watching about birth, talked to heaps of people at work (I work in a hospital) including some nurses who are also midwives, but I still found it beneficial. It's great for your birthing partner too. It also gets you familiar with the facilities your hospital offers as they can vary (eg the hospital I birthed at no longer uses pethadine. They use morphine or fentanyl instead).
    I'd say go. It won't hurt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Snowman For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently had my first baby and I didn't do any antenatal classes, mainly because I live miles away from where they were held. However, my sister who gave birth a few weeks after me also chose not to do the classes, even though she lives in a city.

We are both happy with our decision not to have done the classes. We were the last of our social circle to have kids, so we had heard the stories and had some sort of idea what we were in for.

I was given the opportunity to familiarise myself with the hospital during my midwife appointments that were held there. Not sure if that is the case for everyone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CountryLovin For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Jast I did a lot of reading beforehand but there was still info that I didn't know that was useful. We did practice a bit of swaddling and nappy changing plus it gets the guys involved which is good. The advice on how to cope afterwards, info on the blue book, check ups and midwife visits and mums groups was all provided too.
    I must admit I didn't do the breastfeeding class as I'd heard that the midwives were very pushy. I don't think i needed it anyway, there were lactation consultants to help when the baby had arrived.

Info specific to the hospital, midwives, doctors and their practices was really handy. I liked being able to check out the ward and birthing rooms too.
    If its not for you, you could just bail.
    I never had a birthing plan, I knew I was just going to wing it on the day. Having said that I knew I wanted drugs so I made that very clear to the staff when we arrived, so I guess that was a birthing plan!

Exciting times!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bongley For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I didn't do the classes. I didn't really have the opportunity with working shift work and DP doing long days. It just never fell into place for us. I dont regret it though. I'd had plenty of friends already have children and also did a lot of reading. In hindsight I don't think I would have gained anything extra. The bits I didn't know were explained to me by midwives, lactation consultant etc after the birth. It's a personal choice and I don't think going could ever be negative. If say if you have the opportunity, go. You don't have to sit through anything you don't want to. If you don't want to watch a birthing video, don't. Step outside at that point. Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    I went and wished I didn't. Boring, photos of completely naked women giving birth all over the walls, the customary disgusting video. All entirely unnecessary - after all, when in labour I didn't have to look at myself from that angle. They said what pain relief options there are and the risks. We held dolls up to our boobs because that was meant to be some useless demonstration of breastfeeding. We filled in play sleep and feed times on a clock which basically was just to demonstrate that newborns need to be fed and changed every 2-3 hrs round the clock.
    Wow what weird classes you had!

Our's were thankfully nothing like that. They weren't overly helpful since we were quite well read and informed already, but they were good fun as more of a bonding activity for DP and I.

I think reading heaps of birth stories on the forum was better preparation for the birth part.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (24-11-2014),Jast  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post

I was hoping for demonstrations on changing nappies, bathing, swaddling, and more info on breastfeeding than was provided - instead I got this info from midwives after baby was born.

Because I'm a big googler/researcher, the classes were not worth it for me. If you haven't done much research or prefer to discuss/ask questions then you may get something out of the classes.
    ROFL this is exactly the type of class I'm expecting and want to avoid.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jast For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I'm a FTM too, I haven't yet looked into classes but in finding I get a lot from reading books about birth and watching a lot of One Born Every Minute (UK version). That show certainly has me convinced about the benefits of active birth if you can but also about what happens if you need induction or an emergency c-section.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Jast  (24-11-2014)