+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah I could never call my in-laws mum and dad. If I'm talking about them I just say your mum or dh's mum.

Fil referred to me as his daughter on Fb once which was sweet but also felt strange having somebody else call me their daughter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    What do you call your in laws and why?
    Why because they are a bunch of alcoholics. ...and his mum is a *****. ..

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My parents have both passed away but when MIL was alive I never wanted to call her Mum, particularly since I didn't have my mum.

My mum called her MIL mum and dad called his MIL Nan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I love DH's parents and he loves my parents but we've never called them mum and dad. We use their names or call them Grandma/Grandad when the kids are around. I have one mum and one dad and that's enough for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I call my in laws by their names, as doesn't DH call my parents by their first names. It's certainly not a reflection of us not having close relationships etc, we just believe you only call your mum and dad, Mum and Dad. I don't see my in laws as my parents So wouldn't feel comfortable calling them that. I would also feel uncomfortable if my DH called my partners Mum and Dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I only have one mum and one dad and so they are the only people who I'll ever call mum & dad. I'd hate it if my DS grew up and called his MIL 'mum'...That's my name! This is just me though, I feel really passionately about this for some reason

I call MIL & FIL by their names, and DH calls my parents by their names. But he does call my grandmothers 'nana'. He hasn't had grandparents for a very long time, and he loves my nanas like they're his own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think each person has to do what's comfortable for them, and the other needs to respect that.

My DH calls my parents Mum and Dad but I call his by their first names. When both sets of parents sign any cards etc to us they write "from mum and dad" and their last name, but I don't feel I have to call them that. I love his parents but my DH is quite a bit younger than me and his Dad is quite a bit younger than his mum - which means his Dad is actually just under 15 years older than me so I'd feel weird calling him Dad!

My DH doesn't mind though, he calls my parents mum and dad because he wants to and doesn't ask me to do the same.

I do call DH's nana 'grandma' though, but I don't have any grandparents at all so for some reason that just feels right to me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Busy Bee  (23-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelove View Post
    I'd hate it if my DS grew up and called his MIL 'mum'...That's my name! This is just me though, I feel really passionately about this for some reason.
    I've never thought about this element of it before but reading what you wrote I totally agree. If dd called someone else mum it would break my heart.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

littlelove  (23-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    I could never call my in laws mum and dad. We aren't very close (tbh they drive me insane) but mainly I feel like it would be disrespectful to my mum and dad. That's just me though.
    I agree, definitely disrespectful to my parents. Even if mine had passed, I could never call the in laws mum and dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting. So glad I'm not the only one who feels it's weird.
    I don't mind if DH calls my parents by name or title. That's up him. I told him I think it's nice he does but he doesn't have to. For me. .. my in laws are not my parents. When FIL calls me he often says 'it's your dad here' .... And one time he even said 'it's your favorite dad here' and I heard mil hit him and say you're not her favorite! So he quickly said 'it's your second favourite dad here! '
    Is like he wants to force it. ... But I won't do it. DH says they are offended. ..I don't know if this is true. ... But I say that's up to them and their feelings. I don't do it because I'm malicious or nasty... They are not my mum and dad.