+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Panadeine Forte use and Chronic Pain in Pregnancy

Has anyone else used Panadeine forte occasionally thought their pregnancy for chronic pain management? I have severe hip and shoulder pain while I am sleeping which I try to manage with ice and heat packs, but when it gets really bad my OB said I could use Panadeine Forte. I try not to use it, but I can't sleep many nights due to the pain so I started taking it. I take 2-4 pills a week at night only. I am 16 weeks pregnant and starting to freak out that I shouldn't have taken them, and should try not to take anymore. Has anyone else used during first and/or second trimester?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a hole in my tooth during the first trimester with ds2, it was excruciating. I couldn't get in the dentist to have the tooth taken out for a week so the Dr prescribed panadiene forte. I never had any issues and the Dr said it was fine to take.

I should also mention I suffered major headaches while pregnant with Dd and I was told I could take panadiene and panadiene extra should the headaches be really bad. I mostly tried to stick to panadol but still had to take a fair bit of codiene. The Drs and pharmacist said it was fine as long as I wasn't using it too much in the third trimester which I wasn't. Both babies are perfectly healthy
    Last edited by Purple Lily; 23-11-2014 at 13:15.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

nm2121  (23-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I did. In the third trimester. My girls are 2 and 4 now, both of them are perfectly fine. The hospital I gave birth at gave me the tablets, and I took them as sparingly as I could.

I also took regular panadol, just about daily for most of my pregnancies. Everything I took was on medical advice. If your care provider says it's ok, and you need it, then take it.

Does that help put your mind at ease?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

nm2121  (23-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I did from about 16 weeks 3rd pregnancy (I think) I had severe SPD pelvic/back/leg pain that left me unable to walk from about 25 weeks. It was hard core pain- wanted to rip my skeleton out of my body. OB prescribed panadeine forte and I used it morning and night as per the prescription. It took the slighest edge of the pain so I could get helped out of bed to the toilet in the morning etc I hope your pain improves, it can be a real struggle, all the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Codeine is safe in pg, as long as you are sparing with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I assume your son/daughter turned out fine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was given/prescribed it at 34wks by both the maternity hospital and local hospital ED for what was suspected as gallstones at the time (ended up with morphine for the pain it was that bad). I took it regularly for just under a week until things settled down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a bad anal fissure when I was 15 weeks that required surgery and was given panadiene forte to manage the pain when I was released. The wound got infected and after another week in hospital I was released again with panadiene forte. I only used it when the pain was unbearable and I now have a little terror who manages to destroy a whole day worth of housework with 1 cookie so yes panadiene forte is safe in pregnancy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to loodle For This Useful Post:

nm2121  (23-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Codeine is safe in pg, as long as you are sparing with it.
    Yup, you have to use it sparingly though because it will make you constipated ( which is already a pregnancy problem) and it can be addictive if you have enough of it.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have awful sciatica pain and am using panadine forte, tramadol, oxynorm and diazapan (sp?) 38 weeks here.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using The Bub Hub mobile app