+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We got a staffie cross about 7 months ago and she is great with the kids. When she has had enough she goes to her bed for some time away from the kids.
    We also adopted a Jack Russell x from the pound and he is also pretty good with the kids.
    The kids adore both dogs and they're both small enough to be inside. Our Staffie is a gentle lazy dog and the Jack Russell is playful and loves playing with the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    Yes we were disappointed our local RSPCA had a blanket rule no big dogs allowed to be adopted by families with kids <8 despite fact we already had 2 large dogs (so proven that we can manage large dogs and children) and had lots of prior experience with the particular breed we were trying to adopt.
    Don't get me started on rspca and some rescues with their "rules" or policies. Grrrrr. Some persistence is definitely needed to find the right rescue or animal shelter.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jast For This Useful Post:

MummaCat  (24-11-2014),ozeymumof5  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a 2 year old and a 6 month old and a 4 year old beagle and she absolutely adores the girls and they just love her too. Dd1 talks to her follows her around the yard. Our dog is very gentle and loves kids but I don't leave dd's unsupervised

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have to say that Ive always believed it all comes down to the individuals involved...both the dog and the humans. I would imagine the blanket "not suitable for children under x-age" would have to be to protect themselves a bit (aside from the obvious few dogs who actually are unsuitable for families with children). Last thing they would want or need is a lawsuit (and the guilt) because one of their dogs attacked a child.

I have 1 big dog and 1 small dog and both are totally fine with both of my kids, aged 10 and 1.5. Biggest issue we have is the big dog doesnt realise how big she is and kind of almost shoves my youngest over while trying to give her happy kisses.....that and accidentally whipping her with her tail as she walks past. Nothing aggression based so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    So this is probably more of an annoyance vent type of thing that i feel like getting off my chest

A few months ago we found a stray dog and after going to much effort reunited her with its owners. My kids were devastated to hand her over. This got me thinking perhaps in the next 12 months we should get a dog.

My kids are 10, 5, and 2 (well she will be 2 in a few weeks)

So I started follow several animal rescue shelters on facebook because a) i hear so much about how there are so many dogs that need homes so dont get a puppy etc and b) i wanted to see what the typical breeds that were surrendered because i think maybe that gives an indication of difficult breeds etc

So i see several dogs advertised for adoption on these pages a day, big and small dogs... And EVERY single dog, no matter age, size or breed says "not suitable for children under the age of 10" either "this dog is too small and it might get hurt" or "this dog is too big and might knock a small child over" etc

So really... How do millions of families with small kids have dogs if apparently NONE are good for small kids?

Whats the right age then? 5 and older? When the kid understands boundaries? I want to be responsible but i also dont want to wait 8 thousand years.

And does this mean breeders wont like us because we have a little one?

Ze am I right that your kids have asd?! Have you thought about a smart pup. Sorry if I'm wrong ☺️

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes they do monnie,

Thank you for that i never know that organisation existed! Thats def something i would be interested in, in the future

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_eyes View Post
    Yes they do monnie,

Thank you for that i never know that organisation existed! Thats def something i would be interested in, in the future
    I would def apply! As its a lengthy process I think I'm not sure on costs. Would be fantastic! I love seeing updates on FB with happy families and there smart pups lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Caloundra has a big adopt a dog day tomorrow 13th Dec at the footy grounds if anyone is looking for a furever friend. Lots of kid friendly dogs and pups will be there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read all the replies but dogs are perfect for a family with young children. Of course, it does depend on the personality and training of the dog. Case in point-
    Attached Images

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    I would def apply! As its a lengthy process I think I'm not sure on costs. Would be fantastic! I love seeing updates on FB with happy families and there smart pups lol
    Upto 3 years waitlist :/ and im unsure of the cost, the website said you must donate upto $15,000!