+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When DD was born one of my boxers was 1yr, the other boxer was 9 months old. Despite them having free access to the house and an excitable breed she only got bumped over once or twice ever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got a big lab/ retriever / I think rottweiler blend. He was great and were all older 10 and above (always had dogs from birth but this first rescue dog) but he got very boisterous so we knew to let him calm down... he would play bite and was very strong but we knew this when we got him and we should have done more training looking back now but it was so fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely you can have a dog and small kids. The only thing you need to be aware of (and other pp's have said it) is that you have to train both of them. I saw so many dogs that were timid and snappy because little kids had been allowed to pull tails and ears because it was cute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's wonderful to get a rescue dog. I've also fostered for rescue. I think most dogs that end up at shelters or in rescue are there because their previous owners are horrible people or stupid or lazy & it's usually nothing to do with the dogs temperament.

We have 2 rescue cattle dogs who LOVE kids and people. They are a breed that usually aren't suited to little kids though unless you can give them lots and lots of exercise.

I always think any lab or golden retriever cross are generally great for families as are staffies. Plenty of rescues also take on expectant mothers so there is usually puppies galore to pick from :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had my 2 german shepherds well before I fell pregnant and the are great with my DS. He does pull on their ears and tails and grabs them but they don't mind (I used to do it to them gently so they knew it might happen and not to react)

They aren't rescues but when we get another dog (I'm talking years away lol) I plan on getting a rescue. My parents have a little Maltese who is a rescue, she was abused in some of the cruelest ways possible and she is great with my son. It took time but when she visits she loves to play with him.

Like everyone has said with the right training a dog can be a great addition to a family. Our dogs are my fur babies. 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We adopted our staffy when she was 9 months old and our kids were 5, 2 and 10 months and she has been amazing from the start. She gets very bouncy when any new people come over but has never done it to kids (even new kids), is very gentle with them. She was the first and only dog the older 2 weren't scared of (dd1 is even terrified of tiny puppies). She just fits in so well with our family. We met her before adopting her, watched how she interacted with the kids, asked about her temperment and history etc. She is the best dog, she adores the kids and when she has had enough she just gets up and goes into her kennel and the kids know to leave her alone while she is in there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    We have a Jack Russell x that we rescued and she is like a second Mummy to our boys. We've had her since before we had kids but we had no issues introducing our boys to her.

If you find the right dog for your family, it won't be an issue, of course as long as you are cautious (despite her perfect behaviour we still keep an eye on the boys when they are playing with her).

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a rescuer myself if we were to put "not suitable" itd be legit. HOWEVER some rescues will say that to avoid any dogs coming back. Our main aim is to rehome to a forever home, some rescues go a bit far as these ones have.

ETA: Some would be legit not suitable but label all as not suitable is what im referring too.

We get burnt so often by adopters that its hard to have faith in parents being responsible when so so many arent or so many are way to overprotective with their children and freak out and return the dog/cat as soon as they can without thinking logically.

As for age; there is no age limit. It all comes down to YOU, supervision and how you raise your children in regards to animals.
    Last edited by MummaCat; 23-11-2014 at 11:29.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for your replies everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    As a rescuer myself if we were to put "not suitable" itd be legit. HOWEVER some rescues will say that to avoid any dogs coming back. Our main aim is to rehome to a forever home, some rescues go a bit far as these ones have.

ETA: Some would be legit not suitable but label all as not suitable is what im referring too.

We get burnt so often by adopters that its hard to have faith in parents being responsible when so so many arent or so many are way to overprotective with their children and freak out and return the dog/cat as soon as they can without thinking logically.

As for age; there is no age limit. It all comes down to YOU, supervision and how you raise your children in regards to animals.
    Yes we were disappointed our local RSPCA had a blanket rule no big dogs allowed to be adopted by families with kids <8 despite fact we already had 2 large dogs (so proven that we can manage large dogs and children) and had lots of prior experience with the particular breed we were trying to adopt.