+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Are dogs suitable for a family with young children?

So this is probably more of an annoyance vent type of thing that i feel like getting off my chest

A few months ago we found a stray dog and after going to much effort reunited her with its owners. My kids were devastated to hand her over. This got me thinking perhaps in the next 12 months we should get a dog.

My kids are 10, 5, and 2 (well she will be 2 in a few weeks)

So I started follow several animal rescue shelters on facebook because a) i hear so much about how there are so many dogs that need homes so dont get a puppy etc and b) i wanted to see what the typical breeds that were surrendered because i think maybe that gives an indication of difficult breeds etc

So i see several dogs advertised for adoption on these pages a day, big and small dogs... And EVERY single dog, no matter age, size or breed says "not suitable for children under the age of 10" either "this dog is too small and it might get hurt" or "this dog is too big and might knock a small child over" etc

So really... How do millions of families with small kids have dogs if apparently NONE are good for small kids?

Whats the right age then? 5 and older? When the kid understands boundaries? I want to be responsible but i also dont want to wait 8 thousand years.

And does this mean breeders wont like us because we have a little one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have two large dogs and yes, they do knock my 18mnth old DD over from time to time but it never hurts her. Its just a matter of using good old common sense and never leaving her alone with them. It is really just a matter of getting the right dog for your family. So take all the kids to see the dog at first and see how they get along. A 2 your youngest is very capable of learning how to be gentle with a dog so it can definitely work. No matter what dog you get, big or small it is always the best idea to supervise kids and animals together. I say go for it though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (23-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Are dogs suitable for a family with young children?

DS was 2 and a half when we got our puppy and I think that was a perfect age - he's now 4 and she is a 50kg Italian mastiff who adores him - Because she has grown up with a toddler she is used to him jumping/chasing/pulling at her and she never even flinches - as she is a good family dog our breeder only sells to families so I suppose it depends on the dog - I definitely recommend getting a puppy so you can train them straight away and they grow up with your kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    If the only reason is the size of the dog I wouldn't be bothered. If however the dog had been abused then yes it may not be a good choice for a family with young kids.

Our jack Russell x is from the rspca and they made us bring the kids out and observed them playing with her for about half an hour before we were allowed to buy her. She's been the best dog for our kids. She's now 3. Our other dog is 2 and is an enormous golden retriever. She's knocked the younger kids over heaps and is very "mouthy" and will play bite the older kids, but they've leaned to stay out of her way when she's over excited.

My kids are 9, 5, 3 and 1. I love that they are growing up with dogs. My 5 and 3 year old love doing training with them. Dogs are a great time waster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our dog was from a shelter. She's great with children and tolerates so much with our nearly 2 year old. Yes we did get her years before having our daughter but her temperament was obvious from the start. Many dogs listed on fb from the same shelter often say things like 'good with kids' etc. The shelter we got our dog from had a return policy. If the dog in the first month didn't fit well into our world then we could return her. I guess because they don't always know if the behaviour and temperament of the dog will be the same in the new household.
    I think it can definitely work. And our dog does wonders to distract and calm our daughter too. Many dogs are very well suited to young children you just need to keep your eye out for the right dog that will suit your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    what about a whippet? they are lovely dogs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (23-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I volunteer with a local rescue agency. Often the 'not for kids under 10' means that the foster family doesn't have small kids so they don't know how the dog will go - or that the dog is a bit boisterous. None of that is a barrier though, with any dog big or small there is risk of being snapped at or knocked over, it's simply a question of putting effort into training the dog, teaching the children how to behave (never charging towards their beds) and being vigilant about supervision.

Definitely get a rescue dog, it's a wonderful thing to do to adopt, I have two rescue dogs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You should look at retired greyhounds. Big enough not to trip over, quiet enough not to be under your feet and be constantly bowling toddlers over, gentle calm natures, easy care coat, reasonable exercise needs (don't need loads of walking), generally have good manners on the lead (not pullers), generally not snappy and you can look for dogs in foster care with small kids so you know they are comfortable in that environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most rescues offer a week or 2 as a trial period so you can see how they dog fits with your family

Thanks
    Reviews
    I foster rescue pups and raise them as part of our family until they get adopted. They get trained, kid friendly and cat friendly at my house. The pup I have atm loves kids, plays with them, follows them, plays tug o war and fetch ....there are a few dogs on working breed rehab including my foster, Bandit