+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Buying a caravan. Toilet Yes or No

We are looking at buying a caravan. We found the one we like but has a shower and toilet combo.
    I'm after pro and cons for having a ensuite in a caravan.
    We have four small children so it would be handy with night runs / rain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only con I can think of is emptying the cartridge BUT well worth it to avoid those night time toilet runs to the amenities block!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We camp with three kids and I couldn't think of anything worse. They take up an insane amount of space in the van that could be far better used (bunks/full size fridge etc.) and they are right in the kitchen...blergh. Foul. I have also found that when you book in they see you have kids and put you as close to the toilets as possible, so there's no issue.
    I don't know anyone who has a van with an ensuite who uses it...I'm sure some do, but I imagine it would be more used when you go off track and go bush etc. For the average person who 'glamps' a total waste of space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We use ours all the time. We have 4 kids but maybe it depends on the design of the van? Ours is pretty well separated from the kitchen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on your budget? Have a look at the Jayco Expands. Great layouts for larger families.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our parents have a van and they now wish they'd got an ensuite. We took a portable potty with us on holidays camping and it was so handy to have sitting in the annex even though we were literally right across from the amenities. If I had a choice I would be for the toilet/shower in the van, but I'm a little OCD, so that sort of comes with the territory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another thing to consider is that a lot of parks now have ensuite sites.
    Obviously ensuite vans are popular enough because they still make them but we go away for up to a month at a time in our van and the biggest annoyance for us is only having a bar fridge so that's where my thpughts come from.It is a pain having to shop all the time. No toilet or shower doesn't even get a consideration. I also have only ever seen them where they are in with the kitchen, and that grosses me out to no end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are getting the expanda. We found one with an extra bed and ensuite.
    I haven't seen any of the expanda with bigger fridge in our price range. I would love a big fridge. We do have any extra fridge in annexe.
    This van is close to us and in our price range just has a ensuite. We are looking at ones without but just happened to find this van.
    I agree the toilet near kitchen isn't so nice but thought convenient for bush stays.

How hard is it to clean out the toilet? Also does it smell when in the van?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's what you can get in your price range then go for it. Call Jayco and ask if you can get the ensuite refitted in to something else. Apparently it's not too expensive to re-fit a van, and if they can change the ensuite then at least you have that option if you find the ensuite just isn't for you.
    I have found vans with ensuites are usually more pricey, but if they aren't putting the price up because of it then that isn't effecting you.
    One last thing...to go off road vans usually need to have special 'stuff' to make them off road...I am not sure if the expanda is desgned to off road so if you plan to go bush to camp then you might need to make some adjustments first to ensure that you don't get stuck.
    Have fun camping in your style! It is so much fun, the best way to travel with kids IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes the expandas have an outback range which is made for off road.
    We don't go off road much but there is heaps of bush campsite on private property that we enjoy.
    We love caravanning. We just renovated our old one but looking for one that's modern with the "comforts"