+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cat people, help please

This may be a little long, but if anyone could offer some advice, that would be very helpful!

I have three cats, 2 desexed males and a desexed female, all between 3 and 5 years old.

Last night ex-DP (much to my disgust) brought her bosses cat over unannounced and said we were catsitting for two weeks. I don't really want to get into that, but if I had a choice, the cat wouldn't be here. This cat is around 5, male and undesexed.

After the initial staring at each other and skulking around, all four seemed to settle. There wasn't any fighting, hissing or signs of anyone being territorial. So after a few hours of watching them, I went to bed and they were all ok.

This morning, my boys are fine - just following him around sometimes, the other cat seems fine but my girl is very upset.

Normally she's very attached to me, she follows me around, lies all over me, loves pats and hugs and comes to me when I call her. She's been around other cats before, mostly kittens though. She's also the 'boss' - the boys are submissive to her and she's the 'leader' of them.

This morning I woke up and went to the fridge and she hissed at me. I was a bit shocked and sat next to her and talked to her and tried to pat her. She tried to swipe me, bit me and alternated between hissing and growling at me. She's never bitten, hissed, growled or swiped at me or anyone else before. She won't let me, ex- DP or any of the cats near her. She's pretty much constantly growling, anytime one of the other cats moves she hisses and if myself or ex-DP walk near her she hisses and tries to swipe us.

I understand territoriality, but ex-DP and I aren't cats. She has never behaved like this - she has never hurt me. It breaks my heart to see her like this. I don't think she's hurt, but she won't let me close enough to check.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

This isn't a big house so I can't just separate them all and I feel like locking her in the laundry would make her feel worse.

I just want my kitty back, it breaks my heart to see her like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You sure the unneutured male hasn't had a crack at her? Mine is desexed and despise whole toms as they try to have sex with them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would say he has attempted to mate with her or at the very least she is extremely annoyed at his presence. Her behavior is telling you how unsettled she is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Pretty much guarantee the male has attacked her through the night.

My males do the same to my female or any new cats that come into my house and i get the same treatment from the cat that has been attacked.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have no idea if he has tried, but it's possible.

I know she's p!ssed, it just concerns me that it's such a 180 in temperament. She's never behaved like this and she's been around other toms before.

I've had a look over (gingerly) and I can't see or feel anything that looks painful.

I've just locked the other three in the laundry, and will see how it goes. She's currently sniffing the lounge which is the furthest she's moved from the kitchen all day.

Thanks ladies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When encountering a tom like that mine girl will attack me so I leave her be and let her hide and she comes round but your girl may not while he's on the house

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ThenThereWereThree View Post
    When encountering a tom like that mine girl will attack me so I leave her be and let her hide and she comes round but your girl may not while he's on the house
    That's my concern - this isn't overnight and she's not hiding.
    My alternative is to board him but I really don't want to do that. She hissed at the laundry door for a while but seems to be settling a little now.

Thanks
    Reviews

Your poor fur baby...

I don't know if this is the right thing to do, but could the 'new' intruder live in the laundry for the next couple of weeks? Provided he has water, fresh food, litter tray and somewhere soft-is to sleep it won't hurt him, especially because you have had next to no notice or time to work out an alternative. This is what I would do if it were me!
    Last edited by babylove81; 22-11-2014 at 12:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our cats get cranky at us when we bring a new cat into the house. This tom has more than likely tried to mate her and he's also probably taken over the dominance. There's two things you can do, leave them as it's for two weeks and let her be cranky or separate the tom and keep him in a room on his own. I'm surprised he hasn't been spraying everywhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cats are very different to dogs in that it's very rare you can just introduce them and they'll be fine together in a day. Most sources say it can take weeks and months to introduce cats properly. You should have the new cat kept separate for about 2 weeks and switch the cats over into each others areas every so often to get them used to the scent of each other. I know you say you can't separate them but it's really what they need. It soubds to me like your cat us showing redirected aggressive behavior. So although she's upset about the new cat, she's not angry 'at' you, she's just taking her frustrations out where she can. I'd keep a very close eye on them if you can't separate as things can get nasty pretty quickly if there is a power struggle between your cat and the one you're looking after.
    You could try a feliway diffuser to help calm all cats' nerves. In my experience, it will take longer for the cats to get used to each other than the 2 weeks you're looking after this one.