+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tilt train with 2 year old? Am I insane?

I am thinking about taking the Qld Tilt Train from Brisbane to Rocky for Xmas this year - and I have a 2 year old in tow.... I understand she will be able to travel for free (if she is on my lap), but does anyone have any experience with this in a practical sense? I think it's about a 7.5 hour trip; one leaves at 11 am, arriving at 6.30 pm, and another leaves at 4.55 pm, arriving at 12.30 am. My daughter usually has her sleep any time between 11 and 12 - usually sleeps for around 11.5 hours.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on how successful this might be? Any experiences with train travel with toddlers? The Tilt Train doesn't have a club car where we can go and hang out, but of course there is the attraction of walking up and down the train.
    Oh - I will also be 8 months pregnant!!

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My sister went Brisbane to Bundaberg years ago with a 3 year old. She didn't seem too bothered by it. Just took lots of activities and snacks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We have done several long distance trains mostly sitting up. I found kiddo was always able to sleep under a chair. I would just take his pillow and pop a blanket down for him. We always travelled at night time though and found a portable dvd player handy if you can get near a power point.

I would find the arvo trip would be better coz i found from experience that most of the kids i have travelled on the train with sleep after awhile.

Have you looked into other trains like the spirit of the outback as that goes past as well and they have sleepers. It takes a lil longer but we always travelled on that train and never had any issues and they have an area for meals etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went on a two hour trip on the old sunlander with our then 1.5yr old while pregnant. He loved it. So much to see out the window! And of course walking up and down the train was novel too. It was a bit tricky getting in and out of the old toilets with a baby and a bump (you shouldn't have that problem in the tilt train) but other than that it was all good. No you are not insane. Wish we could come with you for the ride.

And by the way, anyone wanting to travel on the old-fashioned sunlander train, it is being retired next month, December. So sad.
    http://www.queenslandrailtravel.com....rfarewell.aspx
    Last edited by debsch; 22-11-2014 at 13:13.