+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vic teachers help please :)

Hi! I am a qualified primary teacher who is on mat leave after 5 years work in the same school. I need to begin applying for part time work next year and am really out of touch with the whole application process. I am writing a whole new set if criteria now (obviously the ones I wrote as a graduate are very outdated) and was hoping someone with experience in reading them here may be able to have a speed read to check that I'm on track? I remember there were quite a few vic teachers out there so I'm hoping you're still about!

Also, I remember there were pretty stock standard questions that were asked in an interview-does anyone happen to know these? I get so nervous in interviews so really like to be prepared.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hopeful bump!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Hi

I can have a read of your KSC but can't help with interview questions sorry! I tend to walk out of interviews wondering what the heck just happened- it's like I just blank it all out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Im an AP and have interviewed 100's of applicants.

In an interview:

Give specific examples - lots of detail - don't assume anything
    Prepare well beforehand - have examples of why you did what you did and what the outcome was - what did the kids learn? how did you progress their learning?
    assessment - for, of and as - read up on this as well as on-going assessment
    Have an example of a time you had a difficult behaviour/situation and what you did..
    Be yourself - be open

Interviews are a panel - they normally have 3 people on them - you get the q's beforehand and then there is often a secret question.

Take in things - pictures, planning etc..

An example q:

Share with us a time where you identified a childs learning difficulty and how you progressed their learning

This question is looking for - what assessment/data did you use? what did you notice about the child initially? what did you put in place e.g.: individual, group, or intervention - how did you monitor the child? how did you work with the parents to form a home/school partnership?

Tell us about your ability to work as part of a team
    - this question is asking for examples of ways to work within a team, for a team, support a team - in planning, teaching etc... your communication style if there is a problem in a team, what skills and attributes make you valuable to a team...

I think always over prepare - there seems to be an oversupply of teachers in melbourne at the moment and its a bit tough. So play on your experience as a parent and your life skills too - these are really important in your ability to problem solve and communicate with parent, colleagues and students alike.

good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (22-11-2014)