+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone had cervical stitch after 24 weeks?

Looking for any advice from anyone who has had a cervical stitch from 24 weeks?
    I'm 24 weeks and been admitted to hospital for bed rest and put on progesterone for a week until my cervix gets scanned again in 7 days to see if
    The prog and bed rest has slowed things down, if not I'll need a stitch.
    I'm freaking out but know I'm
    In good hands but the more I read the more scared I get as I read it's not good
    To do after 17 weeks.

Any similar stories would help.
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency stitch placed at 22 weeks, unfortunately my waters broke a few hours later so it had to be removed but I still managed to hold bub in until 26 weeks. I notice u are in wa, are u at kemh? If you are on fb look up tiny sparks, they support mothers on bedrest and also families of prem babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the reply and sorry to hear of your struggle but that's great you held on so long.
    So I'm 24 weeks been admitted to St. John's subiaco. My ob has told me this morning that the risks of putting a stitch in now is to risky so if in the next week of so the progestrone and bed rest doesn't help then I'll be in here until I have the baby. So do u think I could just wait it out and go past 30 weeks or could my waters break in a matter of weeks?
    If the progestrone and bed rest have helped a bit then they may let me home for strict bed rest to wait it out but don't like my chances of that.
    I will look up that Facebook page as it's great to have support.
    So was your baby nice and healthy? Were u kept in on bed rest to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had one placed at 23 weeks for cervical shorting and premature labor, everything looked good after the op and then 8 hours later my waters ruptured and I was placed on ever single medication they could think on the prevent Contractions and infection and steroids to develop bubs lungs. A day or so later my waters sealed themselves which is very rare and such a mericle, it's like nothing had ever happened and I have lots of fluid around baby and a happy baby. All the Dr's were amazed because I had an 80% of having bubs once my waters had ruptured. I'm 28 weeks now, I managed to convince ob to go home on bed rest because I was going to stay in hospital till birth next year in January. I'm praying I can make it till the end of January so I only have 9 or 10 weeks so go I'm so glad I'm 28 weeks now but I still have so far to go.
    Last edited by Pprom.mama; 21-11-2014 at 22:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest I wouldn't leave hospital until i was at least 32 weeks (yes it sux but things can change in a second and if you are in hospital and bub does decide to come then there is a high chance Bub will survive with immediate intervention) or if I wasn't contracting and cervix was stable. Who is your ob? Do they usually deal with high risk pregnancies? Also St. John of God won't be able to care for Bub if born before 30/32 weeks so will need to be transferred to kemh.

My son was born at 26 weeks and we had a few hiccups during our 3 month stay in the nicu but he is 5 now and doing great! :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow2015 View Post
    I had one placed at 23 weeks for cervical shorting and premature labor, everything looked good after the op and then 8 hours later my waters ruptured and I was placed on ever single medication they could think on the prevent Contractions and infection and steroids to develop bubs lungs. A day or so later my waters sealed themselves which is very rare and such a mericle, it's like nothing had ever happened and I have lots of fluid around baby and a happy baby. All the Dr's were amazed because I had an 80% of having bubs once my waters had ruptured. I'm 28 weeks now, I managed to convince ob to go home on bed rest because I was going to stay in hospital till birth next year in January. I'm praying I can make it till the end of January so I only have 9 or 10 weeks so go I'm so glad I'm 28 weeks now but I still have so far to go.
    That's great news that everything is going good for u and buns, very lucky
    I would be to scared to go home also but I'm sure they wouldn't let u go if u were still at high risk.
    I'm hoping that with rest and no stitch that baby will stay in till term or close to.
    My due date is march 9th so would be a long time in here but if I need to wait it out to keep him safe then so be it
    Good luck and u have given me hope xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumwannabe View Post
    To be honest I wouldn't leave hospital until i was at least 32 weeks (yes it sux but things can change in a second and if you are in hospital and bub does decide to come then there is a high chance Bub will survive with immediate intervention) or if I wasn't contracting and cervix was stable. Who is your ob? Do they usually deal with high risk pregnancies? Also St. John of God won't be able to care for Bub if born before 30/32 weeks so will need to be transferred to kemh.

My son was born at 26 weeks and we had a few hiccups during our 3 month stay in the nicu but he is 5 now and doing great! :-)
    My ob is dr Sinead Mulroy, she is a high risk ob who does high risk patient delivery from kemh. Iv so many friends who are midwives in kemh and say he is amazing and that's why I chose her in first place because of ivf and the possibility of having a shortened cervix.
    I think she will keep me here because I'm so close I imagine that if anything happens she will put me over the kemh anyways.

So did u have a stitch? Was there signs he would be born early? Iv been feeling more that great my whole pregnancy so I'm my head I keep thinking everything will be fine but just never know do u

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP

I didn't have a surgical stitch but I did have a 25 weeker. She is a healthy 2.5 year old now and I'm 34 weeks pregnant with number 2!

But my piece of advice / perspective on the hospital bed rest would be this... Even though it would suck and seems like an eternity, if baby does arrive super early you will be spending every single day at the hospital anyway as baby would be there until their due date or maybe even longer. So if you can stay there with bub baking inside you, that is the better of the two evils!!

I agree with PP re Tiny Sparks WA, best of luck to you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtropps View Post
    My ob is dr Sinead Mulroy, she is a high risk ob who does high risk patient delivery from kemh. Iv so many friends who are midwives in kemh and say he is amazing and that's why I chose her in first place because of ivf and the possibility of having a shortened cervix.
    I think she will keep me here because I'm so close I imagine that if anything happens she will put me over the kemh anyways.

So did u have a stitch? Was there signs he would be born early? Iv been feeling more that great my whole pregnancy so I'm my head I keep thinking everything will be fine but just never know do u
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtropps View Post
    That's great news that everything is going good for u and buns, very lucky
    I would be to scared to go home also but I'm sure they wouldn't let u go if u were still at high risk.
    I'm hoping that with rest and no stitch that baby will stay in till term or close to.
    My due date is march 9th so would be a long time in here but if I need to wait it out to keep him safe then so be it
    Good luck and u have given me hope xx
    Nah still very high risk and I was a very high risk pregnancy to begin with anyway. I don't live far from my hospital and I can't give birth naturally so if anything happens we just have to get an ambulance back but atm everything is looking great, I can monitor myself at home and that's the only reason OB said I could go home and the fact It costs $1140 a day to stay in the hospital. I was in there for over a month and it messes with you big time.

If they aren't going to place the stitch I would stay in there till they deliver because nothing is holding baby inside. If I notice anything in the slightest wrong I'll be going straight back and not leave till birth but hopefully I can keep this baby in to at least 36 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's makes sense with not having a stitch that nothing holding him in, I'm guess it's only a matter of time then before he will come out but I'm hoping 30+weeks.

Seems like you have it under control anyways and know your body and u are quiet far along so I would have thought anywhere from here would be like a natural protocol as baby would be a nice size.
    Good luck with him and I hope ur enjoying being back at home.
    If I get sent home is find the hardest thing not doing anything as I am the kind of person who doesn't stop so I know I would need to seriously do nothing for the sake of my baby.