+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It did my head in trying to work out what can & can't be claimed. It is confusing and disappointing when you work out what will not be covered!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jast For This Useful Post:

fieldsofpie  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find this for phi generally. It is confusing and they say you are "covered" when they really only cover you for some things within that broad category. I have many issues with phi and the way it is promoted / marketed but that is for a different thread.

I just wanted to comment that the fees you described and the amount you get covered sounds about on par with my experience.

I actually spoke to my clinic (Genea sydney) about phi as different funds do cover more / less. For Genea, they said the funds that covered most were NIB and HCF. I was with Bupa and as I had passed the waiting period to qualify for IVF cover, other funds would waive their waiting period and cover me immediately if I switched. I swapped to HCF and the improved cover was applied to the cycle I had just started.

So maybe ask your clinic who provides the best rebates? My understanding is that it varies from clinic to clinic as they all do it slightly differently.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

Bongley  (24-11-2014),fieldsofpie  (24-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty much dead on the money when you say it's confusing, and the rebates have very little to do with Medibank. I agree we're lucky this much is covered by Medicare.
    @bedlover I did look at HCF in the last few days. Reverse searching is a clever idea, I'll try that

SpotTheOcelot is offline 'Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd just send my phi as many receipts and see what came back. Surprisingly in the 'old' days they covered my progesterone pessies and orgalutran injections (before medicare covered them).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies - although this bit of an old thread - I currently have Medibank Top Hospital and am pondering an IVF round - I liked the person's post up above about ask your clinic who provides the best rebates - but anyone got some current info who currently offers the best deal re IVF? I am trying to do the sums to see what it will cost me - this will also be my first round so wont reach the safety net (though if you exceed it in your first treatment do you get it for that round?). PS - I am 46, almost 47 so this will be my last try of assisted conception using my own eggs - but im still weighing up whether it is worth it - such a hard call.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    PHI and medicare covers different things. The safety net only applies to medicare. Once you reach safety net, you will get more rebate on MBS items on the subsequent treatments (GP visit, blood test, IVF etc). No, it won't apply for your first round. In general, if you are doing IVF, you will reach safety net threshold unless you go to low cost clinic.

PHI doesn't care if you reach safety net or not. The rebate is fixed amount based on your coverage. I don't know which one offers a better deal because my impression is that all PHI rebate is based on your coverage.