+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My journey with Endometriosis and TTC

Hi everyone,

I would like to share my journey with PCOS and endometriosis. I also recommend anyone who has very painful and irregular periods and having problems trying to conceive to check for endometriosis. It cannot be picked up in an ultra sound scan, only through keyhold surgery from what I was told.

My periods since I was in my mid 20s (I am 38 now) have been very irregular and when they come, I get excruciating period pains along with non stop vomiting, which lasts for about 3 days and severe dehydration, which would nearly always land me in the emergency department at hospital. I would also consume a lot of panadeine forte and numerous anti vomiting medication, which would only help a little.

The painful periods, vomitting and the fact that hubby and I have been TTC unsuccessfully for the past 3 years made me see the doctor middle of last year 2013. I did an ultrasound where the doctors found I had PCOS.

Keyhold surgery was performed and it was while the doctors were performing the surgery that they found out I had severe endometriosis (One of the more severe cases the doctor had seen, he told me).

On the 5th of August this year, I had a laporoscopy to remove the endometriosis. Since the operation, my periods have been pretty regular coming at the end of the month (I have had 3 cycles so far). Furthermore, the pain is gone, slight cramping is all I feel now. I only had to take a nurofen on the first day of my period and I am fine. I am amazed at the change!

Note: some doctors will try and tell you that you can still get pregnant without treating the endometriosis (not easy to do), or that once you are pregnant the endometriosis will stop growing, please do not listen to them. Get the operation, endometriosis can cause a difficult pregnancy and the higher chance of a miscarriage, especially if it is a severe case.

We have been TTC for the past couple of years and now realised the endometriosis was the issue. Now that it has been removed and my periods somewhat in a normal, regular cycle, the doctors told me I should not have any problems conceiving soon, as a normal cycle indicates a success with the operation.

Hubby and I decided to give my body 3 months to recover before TTC.
    I have been testing with the clearblue ovulation kit and I seem to get my LH surge pretty much 14 days after my period Nothing like before where I may never get a LH surge or get a peak a couple of times in the same cycle (indication of unsuccessful ovulation and the body trying again at a later stage).

Now the 3 months is up, I got my smiley face today after testing for the last 4 days. So, once hubby comes home from work... ... fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck with TTC
    Just to give you more hope, DH and I were TTC for almost 3 years with no luck, before I had a lap to remove endo. I got my bfp 6 weeks later, it definitely did the trick for me. Unfortunately we lost that bub so back to trying but hoping it happens as quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    Good luck with TTC
    Just to give you more hope, DH and I were TTC for almost 3 years with no luck, before I had a lap to remove endo. I got my bfp 6 weeks later, it definitely did the trick for me. Unfortunately we lost that bub so back to trying but hoping it happens as quickly.
    All the best to you too! I am so sorry to hear you had a miscarriage, it must be so heartbreaking. My doctor told me not to even have sex for the first 6 weeks to allow the body time to recover. Maybe that was what happened? It was too soon after the laporoscopy and your body was still trying to recover. I am sure you will get a bfp soon and have a beautiful and healthy bub to cuddle. All the best and let us know how it goes!