+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Water birth story of my number 2 little dude (long!)

I posted a birth story for DS1 21 months ago so I thought I should do the same for DS2, so this is the very long story of the birth of our second little boy on the 2nd October, it's been a while coming but life has really been quite busy with 2 under 2!!

I had been having all sorts of pre labour for about 3 weeks, having runs of regular and uncomfortable contractions that would get to about 8 mins apart for a few hours then fizzle out, so I had resigned myself to going well and truly over my ‘due date’.

On my due date, which was wednesday the 1st, we had the lovely task of driving the 40 mins each way to drop off DH’s work ute which they’d forgotten to mention on the friday which was his last day, that they wanted him to leave it there. So at about 8am we got up and got moving. I really struggled with back pain while driving there, to the point I found some panadol and was nearly in tears, but that was all. While out we stopped into my SIL’s work because it’s just around the corner from DH’s work. Her boss was astounded that I was out and about on my due date and kept asking when I was going to be induced. I just smiled and said he’ll come when he’s good and ready, there’s plenty of time yet!!

I also decided it might be nice to stop at the local bakery near home and grab some lunch to eat at the park. It was a lovely day and we had such a nice time, DH and DS1 kicked the footy around (or DS1 threw and DH kicked!) and we just lay in the shade on a pick nick blanket and just enjoyed doing nothing.

Then I had my moment of madness when I got home and decided that it would be a good idea to make a slow cooked lasagne from scratch for dinner, so put that in the oven to cook for 4 hours while I dozed on the couch, DH played FIFA and DS1 slept. The rest of the arvo was pretty lazy and we just relaxed at home as much as possible, until we ate the best lasagne, garlic bread and salad that I have made in a long time!!

That night we remembered to take our weekly belly picture, which we had been doing late quite a bit, but I insisted we do it that night. We also took a picture from behind and the side, quite funny as you really couldn’t tell I was pregnant from the back I then tidied the house up before heading to bed about 9.30 ish. DH came to bed at about 10.30 to watch TV and I still hadn’t been able to sleep. No real contractions, just a sore back and couldn’t get comfy, needed to pee. It was also a really stormy hot night with thunder and lightening that had woken DS1 up a few times but thankfully he had gone straight back to sleep.

I think that I had last gotten up to pee about 11.30 before dozing off, then at about midnight I woke thinking I was peeing, then stood up and wasn’t sure if my waters had broken or I had peed myself! I was wearing a liner so only a small amount actually leaked out. DH laughed at me as he got me a towel and I hobbled off to the toilet, saying that he thought I’d peed myself and how funny that was. I went to the toilet and put on a maternity pad on while fluid still trickled out, yet I still wasn’t convinced. I came back into the bedroom and DH asked me what I was planning on doing and in my fog of a brain moment I just said I’ll go to bed and see what happens. So I laid down and more fluid trickled out. Finally I think my brain kicked in the and I realised it was probably a good idea to at least ring the Birth Centre. So I got up and bounced on the fit ball while I waited for the midwife from my team to ring me back, in which time much more fluid gushed out with each bounce and I had one contraction. By the time she rang me I was sure that my waters had gone and that things were going to slowly start. After speaking with the midwife it was decided I would go back to bed and try and relax as much as possible, and either ring back if things intensified or call at about 8am if nothing had happened to arrange going in for a check.

So I put on my TENS then told DH to sleep and tried to myself. Well he managed to go straight off to sleep and was snoring like a freight train! And I couldn’t sleep funnily enough! I think that it had finally hit me that this was happening. I also messaged my mum to ask if she was able to come over in the morning if she didn’t hear from us before (they live across the road so don’t need a lot of warning!), and she told me that DS1 was going to need to go with her to meetings all day but that wasn’t a problem. So after tossing and turning for about 20 mins I decided to get up and pack some food in a lunch box for DS1 as the best way to keep him quiet is to just keep feeding him snacks. So there I was, standing in the kitchen at about 1 am with a towel between my legs catching the drips that weren’t caught in the pad, making vegemite sandwiches, crackers and cheese sticks, and having increasing contractions. A bit different from the first baby!!

I went back to bed and managed to toss and turn and rest as much as possible until about 3 am when I decided to get up and move about. I was also having really frequent loose stools (TMI!!) which was really uncomfortable. At this point contractions were anywhere from 5-7 mins apart, but getting more like 5 minutely and getting stronger in intensity. At 3.30 I had to wake DH as I couldn’t manage on my own anymore. He was quite hilarious and out of it when I woke him, and looked blankly at me and sat bolt upright asking me ‘what’, then about 3 seconds later he woke up properly and said sorry. My DH is wonderful while I am in labour, knows how to get me to re focus, reminds me that each one is doing a job and that I won’t have to repeat that one and that it was getting me one step closer to meeting this baby. I rang the birth centre and by the time they rang me back it was just after 4. At this point my contractions were between 4-6 mins apart and getting really strong and taking a lot to focus through them.

When I spoke with the midwife, we decided it was a good idea for me to come in as at that time of the morning it was going to take us about an hour to get in but if we waited to much longer, we would catch traffic and it would take us an hour and a half or longer. The midwife for my team was at the main hospital with another woman so she said she would ring the backup and she would meet us at the Birth Centre in about an hour. I rang mum and she was over in about 5 mins and we finished packing the bags. We left at about 4.30.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (20-11-2014),jemmajam  (02-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The drive there was fun! I swear that every bend, turn or traffic light was right in the middle of a contraction, and they were getting more and more uncomfortable. The traffic was good tho, and we were thereby about 5.30 as we had predicted and met the midwife there. She was from the other team so I had never met her before but it didn’t really matter as she was lovely. She showed us to our room which was the same room as DS1 and it all just felt a bit like de ja vu!! When we arrived I started having really frequent contractions but they were much shorter than the ones I had been having, coming every 2 minutes or so but lasting for around 30 seconds. This was really frustrating but my midwife was great at reassuring me that it was but my body settling in to the new environment. She asked if I wanted a dilation check or not and I decided that I would just for my own curiosity sake. By the time I had my obs taken and she had a look it was 6am and I was about 3cm. She also said she could still feel some of my membranes so it must’ve been my hind waters that had gone earlier - which explained the trickles rather than the gush with DS1. I was determined not to get frustrated by how far dilated I was, but it was hard to not remember that with DS1 I was 3 cm on arrival and he was born 14 hours later…

I was determined to keep moving and doing whatever I could to ensure that things didn’t slow down. I alternated between standing and leaning on DH, pushing backwards into DH, sitting on the fit ball (not comfy!), hands and knees resting on the bean bag and leaning over the bed which had the bean bag on it. I was still using the TENS but after about half an hour it started to pi$$ me off so I took it off. Sometime around 6.30 am I also stated vomiting, which happened last time as well so I was expecting it really. I plodded through coping as best I could with DH with things getting more and more intense, then at 7 was shift change.

The day shift midwife was a midwife who ran over half of our antenatal classes with DS1, who I saw for half of my appointments for DS1, was the second on when I had DS and I had for the night after DS1 was born. So I knew her well and she remembered us which was lovely. The other midwife working for the day was an agency midwife so there was no chance of knowing her, but she was lovely.

I talked to both the night and the day shift midwives about how although I wanted to use the bath both for analgesia during labour, and possibly have a water birth, I was worried about getting in to early, as I feel that was what slowed things down with my first labour, which meant that I needed to get out after about 5 hours to change positions and ended up birthing in the bathroom rather than the water birth I had hoped for. Everyone was in agreement that I would try and cope as long as I could with different positions on the land before first moving to the shower and finally to the bath. Sometime around 8-8.30 ish I stopped being able to cope with just changing positions on land. Contractions still weren’t to frequent but were getting very very intense (I think they were still only every 3-4 mins). I jumped in the shower and that was lovely to relax between contractions with the fixed shower on my back and DH running the hand held one over my belly. I was still vomiting and the ondansetron that they had gotten me had done bugger all but my stomach was pretty well empty by now so things started to ease off. I stayed there for quite some time, DH got a bit spacey with the hand held shower and started doing quick back and forward movements over my belly instead of the nice slow relaxed ones he had been doing previously, to which DH’s favourite comment of mine came, “I’m not a garden, what are you doing??"

I think that it was fairly early on to getting into the shower I started to noticed increased pressure, but I remembered that last time I got that sensation early as his head was very low, despite not being fully dilated and hours off delivery. I was convinced I had many many hours to go and was worried as the contractions seemed so intense I was worried that I wasn’t coping as well as I had expected this early in labour. My midwife seemed very aware of me saying I had pressure and kept asking if I needed to push, to which I responded it’s fairly manageable but the pressure seems to be building. She pottered off to finish filling the bath.

Fairly quickly that moderate pressure turned into the need to poo, to which my midwife pricked up her ears and said lets go into the bath. I kept saying it’s to early because I knew that my contractions were still more than 2 mins apart, but she said that’s fine — we’ll go to the bath now. I got in and it was instant relief, I had gotten to the point in the shower where I couldn’t relax between contractions and the bath allowed me to do that once again. It was sometime after 9 am at this point, I think about 20 past. I had 2 contractions in the bath and then my body started to push.

Thinking that I couldn’t possibly be fully dilated having being only 3 cm only 3 hours prior, I kept apologising and trying not to push but there was no stopping it. My midwife was fabulous tho, told me that no she didn’t need to check, she could see from looking at my perineum when I was in the shower that baby was nice and low, and that if my body was pushing then let it do what it wanted. I relaxed into it and started pushing sometime at about 9.40 ish I think. At this point I stopped feeling individual contractions and just felt my body pushing at certain points, it was such a strong and overtaking urge I had no control and did not actively push, my body did it for me. I asked for the mirror so I could see as I find it really cool and then watched over the next 5-10 mins as my babies head was birthed. It was a little pause between when the head was out and when my next contraction was but I wasn’t scared or worried, I knew he was just fine like that. One more contraction and his shoulders were born and I lifted him out and onto my chest, where he took a big breath and opened his eyes to look around and take everything in. At 9.59 am he was here.

Despite taking a reflex breath immediately he took a minute or two to establish a regular respiratory rate but he did so on his own with just a nudge from his mum all the while on my chest, no crying just looking around. He planted himself on my chest and nuzzled down for his first breast feed, to which he took to like a champ.

I had elected to do delayed cord clamping and then oxytocin injection once it had stopped pulsing. Well his cord pulsed for AGES!! Was for at least 5 mins, I think it was maybe even more than 10. Along the way my midwife encouraged me to push if I felt the urge to in order to help deliver the placenta, but I really wasn’t feeling any contractions at that point. After about 5 mins I moved over to the seat on the bath to let gravity help things along. Eventually the cord stopped pulsing and before it was cut, I gave a few pushes while my midwife held onto the cord and I managed to push out my placenta all on my own with no oxytocin, quite impressed and surprised I didn’t need it! DH then cut the cord and we continued to soak in our amazing little boy while the midwives gave us some time alone as a family. Once they returned I had my perineum checked and surprising to me, NADA! She said maybe a bruise but no tears or grazes at all! (Had just a very small graze with DS1). My placenta was intact (she showed us all the parts as she checked it — so cool) and my blood loss measured under 200ml. They then took some photo’s for us and we just enjoyed the rest of that first hour of DS2’s life with him on me having awesome snuggles.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

jemmajam  (02-12-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    After an hour of skin to skin we headed back to our room and I headed straight for the shower, BLISS, while DH had his cuddles. DH then cleaned off DS and put a nappy on him, he loves that first nappy change with that tarry meconium, his favourite job! We then settled in for a while before at about 1 we finally did his weight and length checks.

DH and I had been wondering to ourselves how big we thought he was and we had both thought either the same size or ever so slightly bigger than DS1 who was 7pd15oz or 3.62kg and 53 cm long with a 35 cm head. Well we got the shock of our lives, DS2 was 9pd 2oz or 4.14kg 53 cm long and a 36 cm head!! Not what we had expected seeing as how much easier his birth was than DS1. (DS1 was an easy birth, just long and had a small graze, we thought we had done well with him but DS2 was just incredible).

We then made the phone calls to the grandparents and siblings to tell them all the good news, and to hear everyone’s jaw drop as to his size. And had some lunch, although it was horrible, old and cold so we didn’t eat much.

Then over the next few hours we got a paed check, he had a chordee which will need surgical follow up later but not urgently, and got everything ready for discharge before leaving at about 4.30 pm, 11 hours after arriving and 16 or so hours after it all started.

We got home and DS1 came straight home to meet him and was overjoyed and showering him with kisses and love, which 7 weeks on he still does every chance he has. For a 21 month old he has been the sweetest and most loving boy. He has not shown any animosity at all to DS2 and you can see the bond is already forming.

Life is crazy busy but I already can't remember life before DS2 arrived.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (20-11-2014),jemmajam  (02-12-2014),sunnygirl79  (16-11-2015),TeamCarts  (20-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416460904.485662.jpg
    A few hours after birth
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416460939.761961.jpg
    10 days old at his photo shoot
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416460972.007447.jpg
    And today, 7 weeks old, my Parker William

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (20-11-2014),jemmajam  (02-12-2014),Jodes35  (20-11-2014),michellek  (20-11-2014),MrsMummaButterfly  (20-11-2014),sunnyflower  (20-11-2014),TeamCarts  (20-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay congrats! What a wonderful birth, and gorgeous boy!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

shani2  (20-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    Yay congrats! What a wonderful birth, and gorgeous boy!
    Thanks!! Next time your round these parts we will have to introduce all of these boys to each other

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awwwww what a little cutie!! Congrats

13. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

shani2  (21-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That was beautiful!! I got quite teary reading your story. Congrats he is gorgeous

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DizzyDaisy For This Useful Post:

shani2  (21-11-2014)