+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Email scam alert - Office Of State Revenue

If anyone receives an email advising that they have a speeding fine showing options to view the camera image - DO NOT BLINDLY ATTEMPT TO OPEN THE LINKS.

A work colleague received this email and didn't question its legitimacy, forwarded it to me and asked me for help to view the files as he couldn't open zip files on his computer. BAM! I have lost all of my documents as they are all encrypted now.

The point of the scam is to get you to pay lots of money to the scammers to get your documents back.

It's vicious. We have an IT person trying his best to recover what he can, but I'm not hopeful at all.

Just thought it wouldn't hurt to warn people to always be wary, as a lot of these scam emails look legit, but there are usually small clues that give them away (look at the email address, grammar errors, etc).

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (20-11-2014),DizzyDaisy  (20-11-2014),Little Ted  (20-11-2014),LoveLivesHere  (20-11-2014),Nomia  (20-11-2014),SuperGranny  (20-11-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    oh bugger hun

Hope you get it sorted

tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What is wrong with people!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's all about the money, money, money!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    It's all about the money, money, money!
    Yep!

They prey on those who are so desperate to recover their files that they pay up. Then what? Hope that the scammers 'do the right thing' and help you get your files back? Far out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no, I hope IT can get it sorted.

Is it this one? http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/securit...30-11egcy.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sky1 View Post
    Oh no, I hope IT can get it sorted.

Is it this one? http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/securit...30-11egcy.html
    Yes, that's the one!

Looks like I *might* be getting the bulk of my documents back (fingers firmly crossed).

We are very lucky to have great help from our IT guy - not everyone has access to this kind of assistance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Didn't your fiend question this? I mean the road authority doesn't even have my email, all fines are sent in the mail.

How stressful I hope your friend is going to buy you a drink or two!

tazz475 is offline Holy banjo, check out boob mountain!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Didn't your fiend question this? I mean the road authority doesn't even have my email, all fines are sent in the mail.

AND a big box of chocolates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

The work colleague in question was my own father! I certainly wish he'd questioned it before he emailed it to me, immediately came to my desk and asked me to open it up so he could see if it was him or my mother who incurred the fine

I think he was so stressed and mortified by the whole thing, as it compromised not only me but all of the company's files.

He has not actually apologised to me (kinda think it might have been in order), so I can't imagine he'll be buying me a drink or choccies. He did praise the IT guy profusely for his help though.

I have lost everything saved on my desktop (I had quite a few files on there), but I've also gotten a lot of important stuff back. I won't be saving important stuff to the desktop again.