+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No bond has been paid but we pay fortnightly and that's why we have an advance one week.
    I'm trying to remind myself that this debate is two folds. One is for my child and the care to my child, we have come to the conclusion that we will not be putting him back as we do not feel comfortable. Second, is related to the payment factor and we do not feel that we should pay for the two week notice period due the negligence of the carer and this is somewhat made to look like my sons entire fault and not related to the carer that was carrying him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I honestly don't think you will get out of paying through legit avenues. The carer did not throw him to the ground or drop him doing something stupid and crazy. If the carer responded promptly and applied first aid then technically there is no negligence in that incident. You only have to look at the 'Worst mother of the year' thread to see that accidents do happen to all humans. The best you can hope for is that they failed to do the paperwork and that might be held against them. That soft fall most likely is up to regulation but it is harsh stuff. It is so rough that it does cause grazes.

I am in no way actually sticking up for the center and you have to do what is best for your family. I would never leave my child with someone unless I was 100% certain about them. Just from the legality side of it I don't see much leeway for you. Sorry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (22-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any head injury is an automatic notification in childcare, hen she picked her little one up the bruising was already coming out and no one knew what had happened, that alone is concerning.

Legal staff ratio is 1-4 in this age group in nsw, 1-4 means the carer Gould have known what had happened,

The director is dismissive and unhelpful and the staff sound like maybe they lack the basic skills to work in childcare if they can not even communicate in basic English.

I would be reporting the centre tbh.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (22-11-2014),MonsterMummy  (22-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having worked in the industry for well over 9 years (given up now)

I was appalled reading this.

We ALWAYS notified parents of-
    Bites
    Head injuries
    Open wounds
    Temperatures over 37.5
    Plus the obvious vomiting etc

If an incident occurred when a parent was arriving or due to arrive we would kindly ask the parent to either wait while it was completed or if they chose to sign it the next day when it was complete.

I have found personally that chain centres are all about the paperwork which took too much time away from actually caring for the children. This is why I left the ABC chain (now good start)

Then I tried smaller family owned centres with the thought that they would be more child centred.

And I found that most of the staff couldn't speak English and were lazy and negligent.
    Unfortunately I hate to make racial judgement but a lot of the centres i trialled that had the majority of one other culture as staff that couldn't speak English were indeed the worst.

And I know that there ARE good caring centres out there. But you may need to trial a few before you feel 100% comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did the director mean she didn't have time to write the report because it literally happened right before you arrived or had it happened earlier and she just didn't bother? It would depend on the centre's policy on the notice period but I would be reluctant to pay given the nature of the care they've been providing. Check their policies on injuries and notifying families and if they haven't adhered to it then youve got a very good reason not to pay them.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I'd be asking them to provide the incident report to corroborate their story.

Honestly, if that is what happened I don't think it's an indicator of negligence (this particular injury). I can see how it could have happened.

But their procedures do leave a lot to be desired, I agree with you there.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (22-11-2014),snowqu33n  (22-11-2014),VicPark  (22-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by chook88 View Post
    This is the 2nd incident this week and based on the directors communication via email it indicates my child is at fault wiggling out of the carers arm. My initial response is 'why would you carer not know that children wiggle all the time?'
    ?
    Maybe the childcare centre is negligent who knows. And it can be nerve wracking when your first kid is starting childcare and gets his first lot of bumps and scratches. I questioned everything in the early days too. But I think to some extent you have to accept that accidents happen .... And kids wriggle... And yes sometimes when a kid wriggles it can cause an accident, it doesn't necessarily mean it is the carers fault and I wouldn't be getting too upset at the explanation: it's an explanation not a personal attack on your child.
    Last edited by VicPark; 22-11-2014 at 12:21.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (22-11-2014),MrsSS  (22-11-2014),smallpotatoes  (23-11-2014),Uh-Oh  (23-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What timing! I just put my 9 month old down to bed and noticed he had 3 scratches on his right arm, about 3-5cm in length. I have NO idea how it happened, I can't remember hearing bub cry..

Thanks
    Reviews
    IF the child did in fact wiggle out of the carers arms and fall to the ground, I would consider that negligence. Yes, accidents happen but a 10 month old is surely not strong enough to escape the arms of an attentive carer if they are holding him correctly. I have never dropped my baby and I would expect that someone who is caring for him would not drop him either. Particularly not someone who is supposed to be an experienced child carer.

Now, I said IF that is what happened. But I don't think that is what happened. IF the child had in fact fallen from the carers arms in such a supposedly straight forward way, why was no one able to explain that to the parent when the child was picked up? If it had JUST happened, as they say, how come no one was able to explain it at the time? And more importantly, if it had truly just happened, how come he already had a bruise?
    I think they are lying. I wouldn't take my child back there and I wouldn't pay them another cent. It just doesn't add up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You aren't comfortable with the centre, so you have done the right thing by moving.

It is a govt issue that you can't get CCB/CCR if you aren't there, so you will owe full fees for the time you don't attend. You say you have paid one week in advance so you will owe one weeks fees (and if your advance payment has CCB/CCR deducted you might owe a bit more on top of that).

As far as paying the money, it isn't that much in the scheme of things. I would just pay it and put the whole matter behind me.

Fighting this through legal channels will cost more in the first phone call than you owe the centre, plus based on what you described I don't think you would have a case, let alone win.

If you go with canceling your direct debit and not making good on your agreement with the centre, they are well within their rights to register this non payment which would then impact your credit rating. They could also put to a debt collector where you will ultimately have to pay the debt and the debt collectors fees. So you could have problems getting a mortgage, credit card, appliance rental, car loans etc for the next 5 years. If it really worth it?

Yes, the centre isn't right for you and doesn't meet your standards. But is it gross misconduct or breech of their duty of care? In my opinion, no.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

MrsSS  (23-11-2014),Uh-Oh  (23-11-2014)