+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chook88 View Post
    So we have been told by the centre director that he had a 'soft fall' and accidents do happen and they will take it up to the staff responsible.
    Yes but being dismissive, evasive and uncommunicative about this (and now seemingly defensive) is not ok. Sounds like you're making the right call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I would find another center. If the director can't even follow up on a staff member to make sure there is an incident report written then I'd be very concerned about staff not supervising and not being pulled up on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by chook88 View Post
    I'm after a few more advice please.

If we remove our child from the childcare immediately, do we still need to pay for the notice period? Or is this excuse sufficient.
    I would refuse and if they try to make you, say that you will report them for lack of supervision, lack of notification of an incident and lack of paperwork on the incident.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (20-11-2014),MonsterMummy  (21-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked in childcare and we wrote up everything !!! Met parents at the door with the report. We even wrote up tiny scratches and bumps to cover all bases and be sure kids were okay.

Also for a 10 months old we had a 1 carer to 4 babies rule and we couldn't go out of sight of the babies.

Completely wrong of them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to superbuns For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (21-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, pull him out now and I think you would have reasonable cause not to pay the penalty.
    DS hit a block into his cheek/eye are last week and the center called me to tell me they were applying an ice pack, immediately explained what happened to my husband at pick up, wrote it up in his communication book and a full incident report, we couldn't see a mark by 5pm...
    The center has a duty if care to look out for the kiddos, and yes accidents do happen but when they do they should, notify you ASAP and properly document all incidents....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

Im after some further advice and will provide you an email from the childcare director.

Thank you for your email.
    The soft fall we have at the service is a sponge flooring that is outside. It is green and mimics a grass like look although it can be course is a child has fallen on this service and course grazing or redness. This covers all outdoor areas.
    We do understand your concerns in regards to Aaron’s incident. He was in the arms of a carer who was sitting on the step near the sandpit. Aaron was excited to be outside, he does like to explore the environment and is becoming more active as we would expect for his age. As Aaron wriggled out of the educators arms he did lose his balance and bumped his cheek on the flooring he was only approximately 5cm above the flooring. The educator did take every precaution to prevent Aaron from bumping himself although as expected for his age and developmental milestones a 10 month old baby does become very active and wants to increase their mobility to reach their desired milestones.
    The incident did happen moments before you arrived to pick Aaron up and the Educators were administering first aid at this time. It would have been upsetting to see Aaron upset when you picked him up although moments before he was hurt he was happy and is happy and settled in the ____________________learning environment.
    Once again we do apologies that Aaron was hurt and we do hope that Aaron is okay. Once reviewing the incident the educators responding to Aaron very quickly in comforting and applying first aid, to ensure he was okay.

If you would still like to withdraw Aaron from the service as stated in our policy, you will be required to give two weeks’ notice. I do need to let you know that the government does have a ruling that if a child does not attend their last day of care and subsequent days, the CCR and CCB will not be applied to the account. If Aaron is not in attendance for at least a short period of time on his last day full fees will be applied to all consecutive days absent prior to his last day. Two weeks’ notice from today will be Friday the 5thDecember 2014 although Aaron’s last day will be Thursday the 4th December 2014.
    If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.'

The director has come back advising that my son is to blame when inadvertently the carer should be the person to be blamed in this instance. All children needs to be held firmly to not cause any injuries.
    Doesn't a childcare have a duty of care to ensure that my child doesn't get injured?

I'm not entirely sure how i should approach this email and would like some recommendations.

Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chook88 For This Useful Post:

inertia  (22-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Is the centre part of a chain? Is there anyone higher up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't read all the responses ...
    I'm a 2IC in a childcare centre in qld
    Have you received any incident report ?

Head and bites we call immediately.
    And document for parents arrival.

Do you have a parent handbook ? You may have gotten one upon enrolment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You should do what you feel comfortable with and if you still feel uneasy after the letter the director wrote then pull your little one out.

I agree that the director probably should have said that the staff member will be re trained and was sorry etc.

If you choose to report it to authorities, they will do an audit of the centre and make sure the correct paperwork is filled out and that the "soft fall" which they call the ground covering is appropriate. If the department find everything satisfactory then that's it, if not they will have time to remedy the situation and probably suggest more staff training or a small fine.

It's really hard to find somewhere that makes you feel secure, and even at the daycare my little one attends sometimes they say that they turned around for less than a second to a fall or injury Not that that makes it easier on you.

Your baby is your main priority and I'm sure if you look around else where you will find somewhere you will feel comfortable. I think majority of carers work in daycares because they truly love kids, unfortunately there might one that you feel differently to.

Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    If it happened just before you arrived then why was no one able to tell you what happened? She's trying to cover herself but failing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-11-2014),ThenThereWereThree  (22-11-2014)