+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Urgent help/advise - Child Care injury on my 10mth old

Hi all,

My child has been in child care for over 1 month now and we slowly we are finding the childcare to be negligent.

Last week, he came back with a scratch half of his arm length and we ask the child care their response is OH we didnt see it and we cant be everywhere to see it. Our response is this scratch he would have cried for awhile and how come no one noticed.
    The very next day we heard a mum complaining about their kid receiving bruises and she was unhappy about the whole ordeal.

This week, we walked into the childcare at the end of day and now he has sustained scratches on his face and bruising. When we asked the child care, the person couldn't speak much english but her initial response was he bumped into something. We raised this with the director and she advised that it just happened and he fell off the carers leg on to the floor face planting. She said she didn't even have time to write an incident report..

We also noticed that same mum that complained was in the director's room complaining again.

We are unsure of what we can do and what we can say to the child care director. At this moment, we are uncomfortable in bringing him back to the child care and we have also got the issue of the noticed period too.

Any help on what actions we can take would be fabulous.

Thanks
    Ming

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Urgent help/advise - Child Care injury on my 10mth old

I would be very concerned and would be removing my child.

At our centre any incident is discussed with us as soon as we arrive for pick up. Anything involving the face or head we are called at work. Each time there is a written report as well. Having said that, it's quite uncommon for incidents to occur. My son has been bitten once, lightly, and had one stack when pushing a cart around. He has been there nearly a year now.

I'm not so sure about how the future look up with the centre but hopefully someone can help you further.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooglekat View Post
    I would be very concerned and would be removing my child.

At our centre any incident is discussed with us as soon as we arrive for pick up. Anything involving the face or head we are called at work. Each time there is a written report as well. Having said that, it's quite uncommon for incidents to occur. My son has been bitten once, lightly, and had one stack when pushing a cart around. He has been there nearly a year now.

I'm not so sure about how the future look up with the centre but hopefully someone can help you further.
    This is the same at our centre. I would be annoyed that they hadn't had time to write an incident report yet the bruises had already turned up - bruises don't normally show up straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Time for a new centre. I get a phone call for some incidents. Otherwise they jump on me as soon as walk in with a incident report.

No one is ever too busy for safety.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

CJ81  (22-11-2014),Gracie's Mum  (19-11-2014),harvs  (19-11-2014),Jodes35  (19-11-2014),MINIRoo  (20-11-2014),PinkPopsicle  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would get your child out, document, take photos and report them! My day care has maybe not said anything about a small bruise or scratch but yours sounds a lot worse and I'm definitely familiar with incident reports.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    even for a scratch ... on a 10 month old they should be noticing, and notifying you the second you walk through the door.

Not having time to write an incident report isnt good enough. Yes, there are busy times .. but they still have to a) talk to you and give you a full run down of what happened etc, and b) write the incident report later and give you a copy.

I would be at the very least notifying them in writing that you are unhappy with these 2 instances, and that any further instance of this nature will result in you removing your child without further notice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all your replies.

We are keen on getting some information from the child care as to what happened but we aren't holding our breath.

As for pulling him out right now, we plan to however both my husband and I are working and we need someway to transition him easily etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be pulling him out too. My centre calls me if there are any incidents unless it's 10 minutes or so before I am due to pick him up.

They should definitely notice scratches of that length and in my opinion, carers who can't speak English sufficiently to communicate should not be in a room without supervision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be very reluctant to send him back.

I am having issues with my centre, but at least they called me one the one occasion that something happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had an incident report last week when my DD2 had a small scratch on her leg (and i mean tiny) so yep id be annoyed and worried that they dont know how your son got his scratches and they are too busy for incident reports