+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default sleep problems at 19 months

Hi all, my dd was a tough newborn. Screamed all the time and hardly slept. Then at 7 months we got help at a sleep school and she started sleeping through the night. Her day sleeps slipped back into catnapping but I just accept that now as she has never had long day sleeps.
    At about 12 months she started waking through the night and he did the same thing of just laying her back down. Then she started standing in the cot so to get her to sleep we had to lay her down and step away from the cot over and over until she got the point.
    BUT she still kept waking up more and more. It got to the point where I just put her to bed with me and she slept through!
    So now I put her to bed around 7. I lay her down over and over because she always tries to get up. She generally falls asleep without a fight (except tonight she screamed, don't know why). She'll sleep happily in the cot until between 11-1. She wakes up and if we get her back to sleep in her own bed usually having to put a hand on her back to settle her , she wakes up about 20mins later. This can go on all night so we just bring her go bed with us.
    I don't want her in our bed forever but she still doesn't talk much so I can't reason with her and she hates going to bed even though she accepts it when she's super tired.
    How do I get her to stay in her own bed without waking up every 20 mins after midnight??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey OP no expert here and not meaning at all to sound rude but maybe it's time for a bit of tough love? if you don't want your dd to sleep in the bed with you then you need to stop giving in and putting her in the bed?
    Consistently is key. You may need to sleep next to her like suggested if you can't handle ignoring her, just to help soothe her (personally I found this made it worse as dd was frustrated I was there and not picking her up) but you need to commit yourself to at least a week of not giving in and leaving her in the cot.
    OR you can get a decent sleep co- sleeping, if that's what's working do you really need to change it?

Good luck OP. My dd is 22 months now, we go through phases of good and bad nights, but I'm a bit of a believer on tougher love as they get older, and sending mixed messages (ie going in when crying and telling her to go back to sleep but then cracking it and bringing her to bed) is not going to change anything at this age.

Again, take or leave my advice

Eta: at this age too have you tried to introduce a special toy as well? Maybe that will help.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Steph12  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks little miss sunshine. She has a bunny she likes but when she's about to sleep she throws it out of the cot lol weird I know...She doesn't like to sleep with it there or it seems to freak her out in the middle of the nigh. I'm thinking maybe a toddler pillow now? She always rolls around our bed and seems to enjoy the cosiness of it . She lies on my pillow and says "awww". Her cot is very stark just a sheet really.
    What I don't understand though is she will initially sleep in her cot but then wake up through the night. And she absolutely loses the plot if I don't go in.
    DH has no issue with the co sleeping now and I think when we get her a big bed (early next year) we will get one with a trundle so we can really try and keep her in her bed. Fingers crossed! It's so draining because sleep has been a battle since day one with this gir!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    maybe her teeth are disturbing her sleep? molars might be coming thru veryyyyy slowwwww.