+ Reply to Thread

Default Breastfeeding during pregnancy

I have a 5 month old dd and have just found out I'm pregnant (completely
    NOT expected!) I have no intention of stopping breastfeeding as obviously my dd still needs my milk.

So can anyone give advice or send me in the right direction of literature or support for this?

I have heard mixed reports of milk drying up and not and would really like guidance on how to maintain my breastfeeding relationship with dd throughout this pregnancy and beyond.

My local hospital runs midwife and lactation clinics, should I go there? Is there somewhere better?

When should I be seeking advice? This pregnancy is still early days but I really want to make sure I establish any good habits I can to ensure the best possible chance of success.

Have you breastfed through pregnancy and then tandem fed? What advice do you have? What do you wish you had known?

Thank you

Contact the Australian breastfeeding association that's what I would do. They have support, forums, possibly local groups. My GP insisted I would dry up @ about 20 weeks, but I didn't get that far was working, had morning sickness, something had to give - he was about 14 months feeding for 3 mins at a time and getting some gnarly teeth too so it wasn't much fun anymore. I think I stopped around 14-17 weeks.

My advice would be eat well, and take high levels of vitamins (your folic acid/calcium requirements would be higher) Elevit has extra high folic acid, not sure about other vitamins. My GP said it was fine to keep BFing if I had the milk.

It's quite doable, you just have to persist with it and be aware your body needs a lot more nutrients to support two.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congratulations I agree the ABA is a good place to start.

I'm 26 weeks pregnant and still feeding my 17mo. My milk did dry up but he dry nursed until my colostrum came in. Now he's back to drinking lots; he must be stoked I have milk again lol.

Hopefully your supply stays

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I breast fed my DS1 while pregnant with DS2. I ended up weaning at 36 weeks but DS1 was 19 months old and only feeding once a day. I weaned mostly as I developed really bad nipple sensitivity at about 30 weeks and after 6 weeks of persisting and in tears I weaned. However if he was under 1 I would most likely have persisted. I did also notice I started producing colostrum only at about 30 weeks to.

Definitely ABA if you would like further help.