+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default ASD and night toilet training.

Anyone else have lots of trouble getting their ASD child out of night nappies? DS2 is 5 now and still no sign of being dry at night.

I am looking for some tips if anyone has any. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sorry I don't have any tips, but I have one friend who's ASD son became dry at 5, and one who at 7 is still wet. I think it's one of those "it will happen when they're ready" thinks which of course isn't what anyone wants to hear. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @beebs my nephew was never dry at night, and so at around 8 his father took him to a gp who put him on medication to help (not sure what it was but I can ask) and it worked extremely quickly.

My sister had literally tried everything. He's an extremely heavy sleeper and no amount of alarms or anything else worked.

She was incredibly reluctant to use medication but it was so easy once they did she was relieved. He's never had any problems since.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for that, I think I may start looking into that. He is a very heavy sleeper as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    @beebs my nephew was never dry at night, and so at around 8 his father took him to a gp who put him on medication to help (not sure what it was but I can ask) and it worked extremely quickly.

My sister had literally tried everything. He's an extremely heavy sleeper and no amount of alarms or anything else worked.

She was incredibly reluctant to use medication but it was so easy once they did she was relieved. He's never had any problems since.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both mine are ASD. My DS didnt get dry at night until he was over 6. Most doctors wont do anything until they are 7. Best thing I ever did was stop stressing about it and stop saying anything to him. Went and invested in some good quality mattress protectors and when he wanted to try just supported him. I really think not making a fuss is the key. X

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Totally agree re not making a big deal, I guess part of the problem is that he sleeps with me - not sure if it is an anxiety thing or not? But when he wants to go without pull ups - he wets my bed, not his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post
    Both mine are ASD. My DS didnt get dry at night until he was over 6. Most doctors wont do anything until they are 7. Best thing I ever did was stop stressing about it and stop saying anything to him. Went and invested in some good quality mattress protectors and when he wanted to try just supported him. I really think not making a fuss is the key. X